Monotone Town ||Jaeha x Reader|| Soulmate AU

'Soulmate AU' where you see the world in black and white until you meet your significant other.

What colour is the ocean, again? She would think to herself. Blue? What does that mean?

How green are the trees in a forest? How red are roses in a garden of butterflies?

She sat on the grey sand as her eyes squinted at the blinding shine of the silver setting horizon. Silver is valuable therefore it should mean it's something of divine beauty. Be that as it may gold was always held in higher regard. It had to be because of its colour. The two colours of treasures seemed to be labelled as disparate in visual aesthetic, and one ranked higher than the other. How prejudiced it seemed to her.

The water became blinding as the sunlight seemed to turn the waves into liquid riches. What right did she have to compare a thing of nature to something she had never even experienced before?

I'm sure it would be gold. Isn't that what colour the sun is?

After the fiery platinum orb in the sky had fallen behind the outlook she took her leave to return to her house of solitude. The crashing waves of the ocean echoed around the shroud of night as people everywhere began turning in for the night. There were others who weren't quite ready to end their days yet, as they had their special someone to spend it with. How many of them could see the colours of the night? Did night have colour at all? It's not like she knew.

As she strolled the footpath her eyes spotted flickering flames, along the grey shoreline and through open windows of family homes. What did orange look like? Did it add to the warmth fire already gave? She couldn't help but pause her steps to take in the dullness around her—not just the colour, or lack of that she saw, but the pairings. Mother and child, friends, and lovers.

Her eyes stalked couples as some horsed around giving each other piggy back rides, whilst others snuggled on a park bench with a blanket. What she would give to swap places. Not just so she could experience the wondrous colours of the world she was born into-- that was seen more as the pretty ribbon wrapped around the actual present.

The gift she wanted was her soulmate to find her.

Morning came fast as (Y/N) went about her usual routine. Wake up, get ready for the day and see what would happen. There was the occasional choice of awry, which wasn't much more than sitting at a small café with a book and her favourite drink in hand as the town bustled around. Books seemed to be the most interesting to her, for she knew they didn't have colour to them. If they did, it must have been little to none. After all they were just black words on a white page, and yet so many worlds were born through the arrangement of words in hundreds of sentences.

As enticing as it was to sit around all day with a beautiful black and white view to stare at, (Y/N) did have things to do and get done. She stood up from her seat and paid the bill at the queued-up counter. As she pushed through to get to the exit, she was bumped and dropped her book with some loose change, losing the page she was reading. It was most likely her fault since she was the one who wasn't looking where she was going.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" she apologised as she crouched down.

"It's alright, dearie. Let me help you," the voice of a young gentleman offered.

"No no, I'm alright." She gathered her things and stood to leave the café, unable to see the man she bumped into amongst all the other faces in the crowd.

As each hour ticked by (Y/N) ticked things off in her mental checklist. The privilege of living in the town she did was how the wide variety of stores were so close-nit and within walking distance. It was rare to see a car driving along the road that was hardly ever used by the residents. There was no point in creating that kind of noisy commotion when it wasn't needed.