Chapter 1

"Have you eaten your breakfast?" Mom said while flipping pancakes that smelled like honey through my nostrils.

     I walked slowly, slow like a zombie, towards the dining room and grabbed a mug by the high chair. Consequently, I mixed and made myself a cup of coffee. "Not yet. I just woke up." I said while scratching my eyes, pulling the chair next to my sister.

     "Well, you should eat now so we can with the chores. Don’t want to waste time during the summer right?” She commanded.

     I nodded annoyingly and said, “Yes, mother.”

     After eating my breakfast, I hurried upstairs and started cleaning my own room. It was quite a big mess. My speakers are on the floor. Nail polishes are scattered on my desk together with my books, journals, pens and paintbrushes. My bed’s involute. My earphones are tied on hard knots and are placed on top of my coffee table.

     I let out a huge sigh. I can’t complain to my mom. Not only because she’s my mother but also because she’s my driver, doctor, mechanic, chef and all that stuff. Well you see I don’t have a father. He’s gone since I was young.

     While I was at the middle of having a concert in my mom’s room, mopping the floor, using it as my microphone, someone called.

      That was unexpected. I don’t usually receive calls on summer.

     I grabbed my phone and answered it. “Hey?”

     “Hey, it’s me, Madge. What’s up?” She asked with her usual peep squeak voice.

     “I’m in the middle of something here? I’m cleaning the house. You know, chores my mom said that I should do to become a full grown and knowledgeable lady.” I said, mocking my mother’s tone of voice.

     “That’s just…boring.” She said, almost teasing me.

     I groaned. “I know! Anyway, why did you call?”

     “Oh yeah, I almost forgot why I called.” She laughed. “You should come over later around 3 in the afternoon. Penelope will come, by the way. No buts, okay? See you!”

     I sighed. I still have tons to do but when Madge says no buts, no buts. “I’ll see you then!”  

     The thought of seeing my girls was kind of exciting though. It’s been weeks since I saw them.

** 

     At exactly 3 in the afternoon, I arrived at Madge's mansion. When I said mansion, I meant a house that’s more like a mall (not really, I’m just exaggerating). I rang their doorbell and two Labradors almost ate the hell out of me. But luckily, a weird looking guy who I believe to be their gardener whistled and got their attention.

     I grabbed my phone from my pockets called Madge.

     “Your dogs almost killed me. Come on out here and get me!” I yelled.

     “Woops, sorry about that, Sophie. I already told my—”

     “Just come here already!” I yelled once again.

     “You’re so feisty. I’m coming, okay?” She said, hanging up on me.

     After a moment, she already appeared from nowhere. She welcomed me with a hug like nothing happened between me and their aggressive pets.

     “You know, you should tell your dad to keep them away from people. It can kill someone!” I said.

      “Yes, yes, whatever. Come in!” She said, pulling me towards the garden, and into the humongous doors.

     We went to her room and sat to one of those colourful beanbags. And there she goes, blabbing about Zac Efron and all the happenings in Hollywood. It has always been here dream to go there but according to her mom, she’ll only let her go there after college so better luck next time, Madge!

     After 15 minutes of unending chatting about how attractive Ashton Kutcher was, Penelope finally arrived. I welcomed her with a warm embrace. Between the two of them, Penelope’s the sweet one. And I can prove that by saying the fact that she brought us apple pie.

      “Wow, this is so touching. Thanks Penelope!” I bid, placing my arms on her shoulder.

      We were talking about this certain movie on theatres. You know, Madge kind of topics. It was fun to be with them. I mean, they’re like an extension of my family. I love them.

     Wow, that was corny.

      I was watching Modern Family by her television while they were chatting about this new dude at school. They didn’t knew that I was eavesdropping. Well hey, who wouldn’t? They’re giggles and screeches are hurting my ears.

     “So I was chatting with Garrett last night and he said that there’s a new guy at school. I asked him if he’s cute and he just said yes unsurely. He also said that he played basketball with him once over the neighbourhood.” Penelope reported, like it was her obligation to update us about it.

     “Did he look like Zac Efron?” Madge asked.

     Penelope rolled her eyes on her and said, "Psh, shut up Madge. He said that the guy's name is Greyson. That's all.”

     “What a lovely name.” Madge muttered and I raised a brow on them.

     "We'll see him in two weeks which I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or not because I don’t want to go to hell, I mean school yet.” Penelope complained.

      We went to a coffee shop nearby and consequently left all together. I could say that this day has been really buoyant.  Thanks to my sisters.

     “How's your day?” Tiffany said.

     “Great!” I said while taking of my shoes by our doorstep.

     “That’s it?” She asked, hugging her knees while sitting on our couch.

     “Yeah?” I said, unsure of what to tell her.

**

     That 2 weeks went fast. I just spent it by writing stuff through my piano, eating ice cream, watching Modern Family (yes, I’m addicted) and you know, chatting with people online. It’s my first day and I don’t know, I’m quite pumped and at the same time annoyed by the thought of it.

     I went to my locker and put some books then went to the hallway to meet Madge and Penelope. We chatted about the new guy again. “Okay guys, I don't care about him okay? Please just stop talking about it.” But I only said that to myself so no one could hear me. The bell rang and all of us went straight to our room.

     "Well, well, well. I'm Mrs. Smith, your class adviser. Since it’s our first day, I don’t want to be that kill joy about this so I guess it's time for you guys to meet your classmates on homeroom.” She said.

     Well, I don't really like this acquaintance thing since I’m not sociable so I just sat on my chair while Madge and Penelope chatted with others. Next to that was a guy coming over to me.

     I looked up at him and straight to the eyes. My heart skipped a beat and I tried to manage to give him a small smile.

     “Hi, I'm Sophie.” I said.

     “Well, hi there. I'm Greyson.” He said while holding out his hand to me.

     I don't know what I felt but it hit me hard.

 ----------

Thoughts? :) Thanks for reading!