A Simple Melody ♬ Chapter Twenty-Six - Change

Start from the beginning

"Alan invited us here." The other girl said, revealing her strong Australian accent. Seems to me like they didn't grow up here. "Oh look, your housemates!"

"Right." Sebastian cleared his throat. "Guys, this is Sophie and Sophia, and if you haven't figure out already, they're twins, and they're Australian-Koreans."

"Wait, who is Sophie and who is Sophia?" Mitch blurted.

"I'm Sophie." Said the one with long straight hair.

"And I'm Sophia." Said the one with bangs and minimal makeup.

The only reason why I would comment on that is, well, I happen to be housemates with guys who read Seventeen Magazine, I'm sure that explains it.

"I'm Mitch." Mitch stepped forward to introduce himself first then prodded me by the side. "And this guy here is Train."

I silently gave Mitch a look then smiled to the girls. "Hi."

Both Sebastian and Mitch stared at me like they've just seen a ghost, while the girls have no idea what's going on. Then again, I have no idea what's going on.

Alan joined in the conversation, looking as alert and cleaned up as ever. Something tells me that Alan may be interested at the girls, question is, which one? It's no surprise though since Alan was the one who invited and was literally waiting by the door for them. Sebastian, on the other hand, seems to have a little something too.

"You remember these girls right? You know, the girls that Alan and I bumped into around the neighbourhood the other day when we went jogging." Sebastian shrugged. "They go to Dream Arts too."

"Oh, that's them?" Mitch gaped slightly. "You never said anything about twins, or Asian, or Australian accent, and definitely not Dream Arts."

"Well, I figured you guys wouldn't have been interested." He smiled wryly.

"What, are you interested then?" Mitch teased.

"I'll call Scarlett."

"NO." Mitch shivered suddenly.

Sebastian and Mitch began arguing for a while before I put a stop to them by slapping them with a solid pillow. They shot daggers towards me but had successfully decided to cut down on the noise, since we are having guests, and more guests are coming.

"Man, where did you get that weapon from?" Mitch winced slightly.

"I dunno, it's not mine, found it from one of the boxes while unpacking the other day." I said casually.

"Right..." he nodded slowly. "Hey dude, I have to say, I'm surprised with you."

"Who me?" I asked, confused.

"Yeah man, I mean, we're both surprised with you." Sebastian patted my shoulder. "That greeting you just gave, not something the old Train would do."

"What, you mean saying hi?"

"Our Train never says hi at first meetings." Mitch chuckled. "What inspired you to change eh?"

"I didn't even realize-"

"Wait, wait, no worries about the explanation, but there's no doubt that we love the new greetings." Sebastian nudged. "Good job bro, good job."

"All I said was hi..." I trailed off, feeling speechless.

I scratched the back of my head awkwardly, bewildered by the attention and overreacted response that I was getting. Was I really that anti-social before? Did I never say hi to a stranger in my entire life?

I began twisting my brain as I tried my best to recall the memories of first greetings. When I first met the guys...well yeah, I guess I was a little quiet...and when I first met Meg...when I first met Gigi? What about Des?

I licked my lips as a sign of hesitation. I guess I didn't exactly say hi to the guys when I first met them, I can only recall myself nodding and smiling and it was only because they were guys, and I don't react oddly around guys than how I do around girls. Well, it's a proven fact. Meg, well, she's a different case since she's old enough to be my mom. Gigi...that's only because I liked her. Des? She was just a girl who I don't really like in the same way as I liked Gigi...I think.

Ah, never mind.

I shoved all the irritating thoughts behind and sighed silently. I just wasn't exactly the sociable type, I wasn't used to communicating with people, or should I just say that I was and still am sociably awkward? Sort of.

What inspired you to change?

Mitch's question still lingered in my mind. Was I even inspired to change in the first place? I didn't even realize myself changing. Come to think of it, that greeting was a little new for me, considering the fact that Sophie and Sophia are girls, after all...

I was interrupted by the sound of brisk knocking on the front door. Seeing that the guys were busy with the twins, I subconsciously reached for the doorknob and swung the big piece of wood open. A pair of bright brown eyes met mine.

"Hello." Des greeted with that goofy smile of hers.

"Hey." I took a step back to make room for her to enter.

"Am I late? Early? On time? Wait, don't tell me, I'm early aren't I?" she began spilling out her words hyperactively like how she always does.

"I don't know actually, did we have a time?" I answered truthfully.

"Well, I don't know too." She beamed happily. "Oh, you have guests here today?"

"Hey Des, nice of you to pop by." Mitch walked towards us from a distance. "Yes we do have guests today, apparently. Alan had secretly invited a couple of cute girls over." He lowered his volume and I snickered.

"Alan, seriously?" Des looked shocked.

"Yeah, hard to believe ain't it?" Mitch raised a brow. "Here, you should come meet them, you'll love them."

Soon we joined the others who happened to be hanging out in the kitchen, with both Sebastian and Alan digging inside the fridge.

"Okay, who forgot to restock our food?" Sebastian folded his arms across his chest.

"I think it was you." Mitch responded.

"Me?" Sebastian looked taken aback as he points a finger at himself, trying to appear blameless. Unfortunately, his expression is a big giveaway.

"I'm Sophie, and this is Sophia." The girls began to introduce each other as Sebastian resumed digging for food like a savage.

I stood by the corner, observing the entire conversation. At first glance, Des was already communicating to Sophie and Sophia as if they've met for ages, it's just so natural for her. How does she do that?

Mitch's question was what inspired, when I think it should've been: who influenced?

A sudden smile spread across my face. The bubbly personality and friendliness in a person can change a person's entire perspective, in other words, it can be contagious, if you allow it to be. Who influenced me? I knew who it was. She was the reason for my change. It was her; I knew it was Des.