7. NUMBER TWO BY THE ROPE

Bob jogs through the path lit by an afternoon glow. He needs to lose some weight. He did this every day after school. He's been begging to get some attention from Simone, the hottest girl in school. He thought that maybe by losing some weight, he might get a chance. Therefore, he is determined to exercise regularly.

He saw two figures in a distant. One of them is very familiar to him. He halted. He wonders if he should just keep going on the path or should he back off. I'm being silly. It's nothing, he thought. He keeps going on the same path. As he passes by the two figures, memories float through his mind...

֍֎֍

~1 year and 8 months prior~

Bob catches up to Trance who's been walking to class. "Hey, how about that assignment?" He asked.

"Oh, I've done it," Trance said, giving Bob his assignment. He lied to Trance that his father is sick and he could not finish his on time.

"Thanks, man. You're the best!" Bob said, grinning happily while giving a pat on Trance's shoulder.

"It's okay. I'm glad I can help you. How's your father?" Trance asked.

"Um?" Bob had forgotten about the lie at first but then he remembered. "Oh. That. Yes, he's getting better," Bob lied.

"That's good news. Okay, see you," Trance said and walks into the class leaving Bob behind checking the assignment.

"Hey, Bob," Peter and Noah walk up to Bob. "What's up with you and that nerd?" Peter asked.

"Oh... He was helping me with my assignment. Well, you know. He said he wanted to go out with me, you know. I decline. But he's been very nice to me and helps me out with this. Maybe he was hoping I would fuck him," Bob made up a story suited to Peter and Noah's hearings. The three of them laugh out hard at the last remark.

֍֎֍

Bob felt a presence behind him. It's strange. He was jogging and the guy behind him is obviously walking but how can a guy walks that fast? The evening is closing in. It's almost night-time now. How did the day get to be dark so soon? Bob wonders. Then suddenly, everything is black. He stopped. The guy is still walking behind him. He panics. So, he runs. He runs as fast as he can. But every time he turns around the guy who's walking steadily behind him is closing in on him. And at that, he's smiling evilly.

Bob didn't know where he's running to. He can't see anything but black. Everything is black. No trees, no jogging path, no houses on the street. He stops when he's finally tired of running and kneels down to the ground, huffing, trying to catch his breath. Someone's walking towards him from his front. It's Trance. The guy who walked behind him is now standing behind him. He feels like he's being cornered by the two. "Trance, what do you want?" Bob asked among his tired breath.

"William knows what I want. Why don't you ask him?" Trance only looks into Bob's eyes with a wicked smile. Bob is confused. He looks at the guy behind him.

The guy squats next to him and touches his cheek. Bob screams in pain at the touch. Yes. He reliving the pain and suffering that Trance had gone through. It lasted for only a few seconds by the looks of the touch but to Bob, time passes by in his head like the whole miserable years of Trance's life.

When William was done, Bob's eyes went blank like in a state of trance. The streets, trees, and houses are back into view. William whispers into Bob's ears; "there's a rope in your trunk, correct? Take it. Hang yourself at the highest tree in the forest."

William left with Trance into the woods afterwards. Bob, on the other hand, gets up and walks slowly to his car like a zombie. He then opens his trunk. He takes the rope. He then walks back into the woods. He saw an old oak tree in the woods. The tree was a popular site among the teens in the town. It's where they held gatherings and party out of their parents' knowledge. Now, this place will hold a new event for Bob. Bob climbs the tree. He tied the rope strongly to the tree's branch. He made a loop and puts it over his head and then, he pulls it to fit his neck's size. Lastly, he jumps down and the rope stretches bearing the weight of his body.