Chapter 21 ♪ Blank Space

Audrina followed behind Dalton into their apartment; watching him turn on the lights. They left Diane and Jim's almost immediately after she declined his proposal, he hasn't spoken a word to her since. Wouldn't even look at her. Audrina shut the door slowly, staring at him as he glanced around the living room in obvious deep thought.

"I'm sorry, Dalton." she mumbled.

Everything was so silent he could hear her very clearly. He kept his back towards her.

"Why?" he asked. "why did you say no to me? Things have been wonderful, I thought you were happy," finally he turned to face her with a brokenhearted expression. "I spent most of my savings on that ring and you just gladly said no to me. No to my love. I want to know why, I deserve the truth!"

Audrina swallowed hard, stepping closer to him. There was no easy way in saying it, there wasn't a great explanation nor a way to make him feel better.

"Dalton, you're a great guy. But we don't belong together, we never did."

"So, there isn't somebody else?" he interrogated and placed his hands on his hips.

Audrina hesitated but didn't know why, deep down Dalton already knew the answer and she knew that. He just needed to hear her say it.

"Yes," she breathed. "there is."

"Who?"

"You know who, Dalton..."

"That guy that showed up here?" he exclaimed almost it was a shock and he shook his head. "I should have known you'd choose someone like that."

"What's that supposed to mean?" she asked a little defensively.

Dalton chuckled softly, as if this was a joke.

"Someone like him," he spat. "do you really think a relationship with someone like him will work? You need a real man; not a boy that puts on makeup and in a high school band."

Audrina was almost speechless but managed to choke out words.

"You don't know him."

"If you want him so badly, you should go be with him but one day you'll realize I was right. That we were right. But it will be too late. Please, Audrina, just get out."

She wasn't surprised. She prepared herself for something like this. Silently, she went to the bedroom to pack her belongings. It was nearly midnight, she didn't know where she'd go, but she was not welcome here any longer. That was clear. She packed two large suitcases full along with three large bags. She grasped her purse, throwing the strap over her shoulder so her hands were free to haul the rest. Dalton sat at the kitchen table drinking a cold beer. He didn't say a word, just stared as she left the apartment. Audrina struggled to get everything to her car but was able to get everything in the backseat. Tears weren't coming once she started the ignition but she felt horrible, hurting Dalton was never her intention. She put the car in reverse, planning on going home.

It was two thirty AM when Audrina got too tired to continue driving and decided to pull into a motel for just tonight, in a small town called Candler; an hour away from Charlotte. From home. When she unlocked the door to the room and tiredly stepping it; only staying on her feet long enough to lock the door back. The mattress was lumpy, the old sheets smelled musty, but she was too exhausted to care. She took off the heels, tossing them to the floor and tried to get comfortable. Audrina tossed and turned. No one knew Dalton had kicked her out; her mother didn't know she was on her way home. She would call her in the morning. Audrina grasped her phone; the battery only at 20%. There was someone she could tell now.

Audrina: Call me. 828-424-0909.

She waited impatiently until her eyelids fell shut and she drifted off into a sleep for what only felt like ten seconds; when the cell phone woke her up. She answered quickly without bothering to look at the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Did I wake you?" Chris said on the other line. 

"No," she lied, trying to open her eyes. "no you didn't. What are you doing?"

"Well, I just got back in the bus from a show so I'm just relaxing right now," he replied then paused for a moment. "so... you read my messages?"

"Yes, I did... and I am going to be with you."

"How do I know that for sure?"

Audrina sighed softly.

"Because Dalton proposed to me tonight," she blurted out and there was nothing but silence on the other end. "I said no... he kicked me out, Chris. So, I'm on my way back to Charlotte."

"Wow. I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything, Chris. Just hurry back home." Audrina said softly.

Her eyes fell shut again and the blackness consumed her. That was the last thing she remembered.

......

Hey guys, I did update again because after last night's update I began writing the next chapter. I hope this chapter was a good one! I will be updating again as soon as I can, I promise. So, keep calm and keep commenting! By the way, the song is by Taylor Swift originally but I absolutely love I Prevail's cover --- that's the only reason why I adore the song.