【Part 1: Puberty】「Satoshi」

Chapter 1: Puberty

I woke up one morning with my voice scratchy. It was 'puberty' as I would assume. That weird phase in a boy's life when his voice gets magically deeper. It wasn't a big deal to me. I knew it would happen sooner or later.

It sucked being an only child. I couldn't share the excitement of puberty with anyone. I scratch my throat, and went downstairs.

"Congrats baby!" My mom would congrats my now deep voice. She was a silly mother, making a big deal out of nothing. Even with her hyper self, I loved my mother dearly. She always took care of me well. Of course she would lecture me like a normal mother, but never once hit me for punishment. I grew up to be a well behaved boy.

Now I am 13. I am proud to get my deep voice, but I couldn't help but felt I developed later than most kids. I couldn't tell. My guy friends all sounded pretty girly like Justin Bieber so I guess I am ahead.

"Hey son." My dad whispered, and curled his index finger giving me that signal to go over to him.

"Yeah dad?" I replied.

My dad was a sneaky one. I love him too, but he was always so secretive with everyone. It looked like he was always hiding something.

When mother would be at work, he would always invite some blonde woman to our house. He would always send me out to buy him 'condoms'. I don't exactly know what condoms are. The package itself felt like some gummy candy. I had a feeling he would ask me to buy it again.

"Can you go down to Hizaki's, and pick me up the usual? Don't get caught by your mother." He whispers, and hands me the money without my mother noticing.

I knew my dad wanted me to get him condoms again. Maybe this candy was super sweet that he was addicted to. My dad, and Hizaki were close friends. Hizaki owns a convenience store that I would go to after school, and go to when my dad needs his gummy candy. I would ask Hizaki what a condom is, and he would just chuckle, and say "you will know when you get older."

I would ask my father what a condom was, and he would tell me "it's a toy adults like to play with. It makes them happy." I didn't believe that lie. It was some fancy candy adults love, and hate to share with kids. I knew it! I went off to get the gummy candies once again.

I got to the store, and scurried to the section with the condoms. I saw Hizaki at the counter reading his newspaper as always. He was a short man with a Mario mustache. He was quite the opposite of my father. My father was tall with no facial hair, and smoothed back black hair. My mother a short one with wavy long black hair. I had their black hair for sure.

I skimmed through the condoms looking for a specific brand called 'Ittai' which had the similar sound to 'it hurts' in Japanese. Does the candy make you hurt? If so, why do adults like it so much?

"What's a kid like you buying condoms?" A male voice said. I looked up to the giant man. He looked scary. He was tall with black hair, and blonde tips.

"My dad wants me to buy. I'm not suppose to talk to strangers." I felt nervous, so I looked down to the floor hoping he would leave.

"You want to try them out one day?" The man asked as I kept my head down.

"It's gummy candy right?" I asked, and looked up.

His eyes widen, and he puts his large hand to his mouth, and began laughing.

"Haha kid! Who the hell told you that?!" He laughed hard as if he was crying.

"I assume. I don't know what it's for." I blushed feeling embarrassed.

"It's protection kid. So you won't get a disease." He wiped his eyes, and looked down at me.

"Protection from what?" I asked not knowing what he was trying to say.

"From sickness when you turn 18." He grins.

"So I don't need it now?"

"No kid. No." He smiles messing up my hair with his large hands.

"Can you show me when I am 18?" I asked not knowing what my intentions were.

"Oh? I would love that." He grins, and licks his lips. It made me feel uneasy, but I couldn't back away from him. I liked his scent. It smelled like some masculine fragrance. I preferred that to mother'a heavy perfume.

"Promise?" I lifted out my pinky.

"Haha yeah kid." He pinky promises me with his pinky. "I got to go. See you around." He waves, and walks off.

I watched him leave the store, and I grabbed the condoms, and went to the counter.

"Back again I see." Hizaki said with a smile.

"Yes sir!" I smiled handing him the money.

"It's on the house. Tell your dad thank you for the left over sushi he gave me." He pushed the money away. I nodded.

"Thank you!" I walked off home.

I got home, and handed my dad the condoms. He took them quickly, and patted my head.

"Thank you son. I know I can always count on you." He gives me his gentle smile, and went off to his office in the basement.

I went upstairs to my bedroom, and laid on my stomach on the bed.

"Ah! I forgot to ask that mystery man what his name was. I'm stupid." I hit my head a couple times lightly with my palm.

I went to my drawer, and pulled out my photo album. My parents told me to keep memorable photos in here so I could look back in my life. I was glad they pressured me to do this since I looked through my album quite often.

I looked at the picture of me, and Kazuo. I missed my old best friend. I remembered he promised me to be my boyfriend. I wonder if he still remembers me or that promise. I still find girls yucky so my promise towards him still was faithful.

I had a ton of pictures with Kazuo, but I can't remember how he sounded like or even his scent. I swore to myself that I will hate him for the rest of my life for leaving me the way he did. I felt lonely every day since he left. It was my weakness, I couldn't let go of him or the way he betrayed me.

Looking through pictures only made me sad, so I shut the album, and went on my computer. I started loading up 'Neopets' the site, and fed my virtual pet. I named him Kazuo. I like Kazuo so so much that I named everything after him. Sometimes I would wonder if Kazuo even remembers me. I bet he looks super different now.

I felt tears dripping down my eyes. I wiped them clean. Boys don't cry, so why do I? I couldn't seem to focus on anything so I felt a nap was my best bet. I went to lay down, and suddenly remembered I kept one of the condoms from the pack my dad asked me to buy.

"Hmm I wonder..." I started to open the packet from it's side that says 'tear here'.

Inside was some weird gooey ring. I touched it, and immediately said ew. It felt like slime. I started to unravel the condom, and now it looks like a glove missing four of it's fingers.

"What the heck is this?" I was puzzled by the weird object in my hand. The scent was weird too. It had a lemon scent to it. A gooey lemon glove missing four fingers.

"I guess that man will show me in five years." I opened my window, and tossed the condom in the backyard, into the bushes. My room window was located in the back of the house which was good since my neighbors can't see me, and when I toss junk into that bush just below my window.

"What a waste." I sighed feeling disappointed. I was hoping to finally taste this candy, but it was nothing close to candy.

I went to lay down for real, and took a long long nap.

"Kazuo...." I whispered in my sleep. "Be the one to show me what a condom is...I don't want that weird man to..." I mumbled as I drifted into deep sleep.

To Be Continued