Chapter 45

I pick up the board, holding it under my arm as I run onto shore to meet the girls and Wes.

"Hey Jenn! When did you get here?" I ask her.

"Just a minute ago! You surf!?" She asks.

"I guess.." I say looking down at the board. I pull the strap from my ankle and hand the board over to Wes.

"That was insane! Are you sure you don't surf anymore?" He asks with a stupid smirk as he takes the board from me. I roll my eyes.

"I don't even know how I did that. The waves I used to ride we're not even half the size of that one. Plus it's been ten years since I've been on a board or even at a beach." I say. Wow, that sounds really sad out loud.

"What!? You haven't been to a beach in 10 years!?" Andrea asks and Jenn's jaw just drops. I shrug.

"Nope. I don't trust cabs, I hate public transportation, and the beach was too far from the orphanage to penny board." I say.

"YOU PENNY BOARD TOO!?" Wes practically screams.

"Uhm, OW! And yea, I board, so what?" I snap. He puts his hands up in defense.

"Nothing! What else do you do?" He asks.

"Well, I sing, dance, I play ukulele and piano, and I'm pretty boss at cod.. and Mario cart." I say, proud of myself. His jaw drops. I laugh.

"Ya no, if you were my age, I would totally date you.." He says. I raise an eyebrow.

"WOAH! Sorry buddy, this one's taken.." Cece says. Omfg, Cece, stfu. I feel my face heat up.

"O really?" He asks, with that stupid smirk again!

"Yeah! So what!?" I snap at him.

I stomp off inside. I need to cool down. Said as I'm currently freezing in wet clothes. Ironic, isn't it.

I grab my duffel from the couch and quickly find the bathroom. I shower to get all the salt off me, then change into above-the-knee sweats, and an adventure time tee. I brush out my hair and dry it, then put it up into a pony tail.

I hate talking about Trevor now. I hate that we have to sneak around. It pisses me off.

I go up some stairs to the second floor. I find a bedroom with a balcony. Cool, I can get to the roof from there.

I climb over the railing of the balcony and up to the top of the roof. I sit and watch the girls talk to Wes before he runs off into the water. I love being on the roof, I can see everything.

My dad always said I'm like a goat. Because goats like high grounds, and I always have to be somewhere high up when I need to be alone. Back in Hawaii, I had a treehouse, and whenever I was upset, or mad, I would sit up there.

Now I go to the roof. I was little back then so I wasn't allowed on the roof, but at the orphanage I was. Nobody knew but the janitor. He's the one who showed me the ladder up there.

I sit on the roof and watch the guys surf. I notice the girls are starting to show up. I should go down to say hi. No, not yet. I like being up here alone.

I start to quietly sing to myself. I sing the first song that comes to mind. Of course it's an Emblem3 song, it only makes sense cuz I just met them.

"3000 miles away
Feels like it's forever
Seems like yesterday
We were runnin 'round town together
This place, just ain't the same
I miss the stormy weather
I'm not okay,
3000 miles away"

I quietly sing and the song brings back memories of my sister and I. Night surfing. Fishing. Stealing pineapples. Singing. Dancing. Riding our bikes together. Our secret handshake. Our nicknames for each other. I miss it all.

I feel the tears brimming at my eyes as I continue to sing.

"If I could go back for the weekend,
Or just for the day
To see familiar faces
That's all it would take
But it's too far..

3000 miles away
Feels like it's forever
Seems like yesterday
We were runnin 'round town together
This place, just ain't the same
I miss the stormy weather
I'm not okay-"

"3000 miles away" I'm cut off by another voice.

I whip my head around to see Keaton standing behind me. I'm not sure why, but seeing him made me cry even more. He has his brother, and his whole family. Yeah I have Cece, and the guys, but they don't feel like REAL family.

I miss my sister, my mom, even my dad. I miss how things used to be.

Keaton sits next to me and I feel him hug me. I hug him back and cry into his shoulder. This is wrong. I feel like I'm cheating on Trevor. I'm not, but I feel guilty.

"Shhh. It's ok to cry. Let it out." He whispers. I nod and continue crying.

I feel like a baby. A weakling. An emotional train wreck of a girl.

I finally calm myself down and dry my tears. I pull away from Keaton and look down, fiddling with my fingers.

"Thanks Keaton." I say quietly.

"No problem. You want me to help you down?" He asks. I nod.

"Yes please. I'm gonna ask Andrea to take me home. I don't feel up to a party anymore." I say and stand up.

"I can drive you if you want. It won't be a problem." He says.

.