The Museum (3)

My parents hired me a secret, seventeen-year-old bodyguard? She looked him up and down again. I wish I could find that hard to believe.

"When did they hire you?" Zelda asked as she took out her scarf.

"When you started going to school."

"Not that I care, but you've done a horrible job," she replied, covering up her neck as she started walking.

Link followed after her. "Bullying wasn't the reason I was hired. I've done more for you than you might think."

Oh have you now, she thought as she rolled her eyes. "What, have I got assassins after me again?" she asked sarcastically.

"Yep," Link replied.

Zelda stopped walking, turning towards him in disbelief. "What? I was kidding!"

He turned towards her and raised an eyebrow at her reaction. "So was I; wow you bought that so easily."

She glared at him. Fight me! she growled silently. This idiot is so not worth my time. "I'm not in any danger," she snapped as she left the school's doors. "I can take care of myself."

She knew she was being stubborn. There was no way for her to know for certain that no one had it out for her. But she wasn't just going to bunker down in her home and die without ever having lived.

"And not draw attention to yourself like you did with your little stunt yesterday? Leaving three limp thugs in the hallway wasn't at all inconspicuous."

Zelda smirked. So he'd seen that then? Good. Wait... She turned to look at him and frowned. "Did you follow me home yesterday?"

Link smiled. "Yes, I did. You're observant."

"Yet I didn't manage to catch you," she sighed. "You must be good at hiding."

"The best," he said. "I've been escorting you home since your first day of school."

The best, she scoffed internally. Zelda shook her head and slipped her hands into her pockets. That would have freaked her out if he wasn't paid to do that. "So is there a serious threat to me at school?" she asked. There had to be some reason her parents had contracted an undercover kid to guard her.

"Not all the time. After all, few people even know about you." He stopped walking abruptly. "Where are you going?"

"You should know," she replied, not stopping.

"You should be going home at this time," he insisted.

"Yeah?" she replied, turning back to him and crossing her arms. "Well too bad, I don't care. You're not my babysitter."

"But what about-"

"I told the staff I would be late because I'm doing homework." She glared at him. "So either shut up and follow me to town, or get lost." Zelda turned around and started walking again.

He followed without a word.

Good, she thought. He can take direct instruction at least; maybe he won't be so bad.

"Is it always this cold here?"

Never mind. "What?"

"It was cold even at the end of summer."

Zelda sighed. So much for shutting up. "No, it's usually pretty warm when the school year starts. Least in my backyard," she replied.

"Why specify your backyard?"