A Fight To Be Had (22)

Zelda stood up tall and then twirled around right before those creepy little leaves could get her. She mixed two aspects of her magic together; fire and shield. She set the outside of her shield on fire while the inside protected her from the flames.

The little leaves with legs made that same shrieking noise as the bulbous motherplant when they were engulfed by fire. She twirled around again and appeared on the other side of the plant. As she landed she shot several fireballs at the mutant's heads. All four of them withered and disappeared in a small puff of smoke. Then in less then three seconds four more heads began to reform.

She let out a growl and fired again. She hit one or the flowers right in the mouth and it withered immediately and didn't grow back. She smiled; inexplicably exited at the fact that she was fighting a boss. Literally a Zelda boss. She'd played those games for long enough to know every monster had its weak point; it was usually an eye.

She shot three more fireballs straight into the remaining flower's creepy mouths. As they withered away she teleported back in front of Link in order to protect him from whatever the plant would do now its heads were gone. Something usually happened in the game after a certain amount of damage was done. Sure the game wasn't real, but it was better to be careful.

What she didn't expect was a slight rumbling that shook the ground. Two clear roots burst from under the ground and flew at her. She teleported out of the way, noticing as she did that there were eyes inside the roots. They swiveled away from her and switched targets.

"Don't even!" Zelda yelled as she drew her gun and shot the first root in its hideous looking black eyeball. She readjusted her aim and shot at the second one; she missed. She aimed again but she was too late; it had already reached Link.

As she pulled the trigger again she heard the whoosh of something swinging through the air, and then the thud of something jelly like hitting the ground.

"Go on! Finish the ugly thing!" Link yelled.

She had an idea of where its weak point was hiding. She teleported up at an angle and then shot a fireball directly down into an opening at the top of the plant's bulbous body.

It seemed to swallow the fire and then it spat out smoke before shrieking and then collapsing in on itself. It exploded in a burst of black smoke and what looked like burned paper fluttered through the air before vanishing into nothing.

Zelda let out a sigh as she landed on the other side and bent over with her hands on her knees. It had been all fun and games until the stupid plant decided to play dirty and go for the one it thought was defenseless.

She heard a soft clapping behind her and as she turned she saw Link applauding from his position against the tree. "Alright, you got me. You've proven you can totally take care of yourself."

"You forgot that I could fight?" Zelda asked as she raised her eyebrow.

"Well, bullies and monsters are a little different from each other."

"I don't know about that." Zelda said as she walked back over to him and set the gun on her bag. "Sorry it almost got you."

"Hey, I was glad to take part," Link said as he looked down at the sword in his lap. "Though that thing was disgusting," he said with a shudder. "I'm glad that everything disappears when you kill a monster cause I got covered in who knows what when I cut that thing open."

Zelda chuckled at the disgusted look on his face. "Well I learned a lesson today," she started with a smile. "We can't just protect each other as separate little shows of power. We have to work together and trust in each others abilities."

Link nodded. "Agreed."

"Since we killed the monster here do you want to stick around? There's probably no safer place than the lair of a dead plant boss," she said with a chuckle.

Link smiled. "Sure, let's stay, but we have to keep watch this time."

Zelda nodded. "It isn't night yet though, so what are we going to do until it's time to-" her words were cut off as a bright light came from the center of the clearing. She flinched as she turned around to look at it. "What it the name of-"

Link reached out and pulled her back to the tree with him. "Careful, could be bad."

She nodded as she watched the shimmering light spread until it was taller than her and at least four feet wide. "Link, is that.... a portal?"

Link nodded slowly in reply. "That's a really weird thing to appear but..." He turned to look at her. "You've played the games. When a portal appears after a boss battle it's good right?"

"Yeah, it should be good... but... This is real life. You said yourself the games aren't like real life. They're just fairy tale renditions of actual history."

Link let out a sigh. "Well, let's just give it a try," he said as he struggled to his feet.

Zelda bit her lip and then nodded. "Alright," she said as she slipped his pack on for him and then secured her own.

They walked over to the portal and she stared at it for a solid five minutes.

"Well... what's the worst that could happen?" Zelda asked.

"It could transport us to another monster lair."

"Ick," she said as she stared at its mesmerizing depths.

"If that happens we can take it."

Zelda nodded. "I agree. Let's go."

"Wait," Link said as he held out his hand to her. "So we can't be separated."

She looked back at him and then down at his hand. She tilted her head to the side and then shrugged, though it probably wasn't noticed because her backpack was weighing down her shoulders. "Kay..." she said as she reached out slipped her fingers between his. "Now let's go."

Link nodded and then squeezed her hand. "Alright."

They both took the step forwards and entered the light.