Getting Acquainted (29)

Saif was a young energetic swordsman with blonde hair and the Sheikah's striking red eyes, and he had a scar on his left cheek that looked rather fierce; but the boy seemed gentle overall.

Amal was a hopeful teen with bright eyes and striking red hair.

Kadir was a strong looking, but smaller framed boy with white hair and maroon eyes. He was confident, and had good reason to be. He was very capable.

The three of them were hanging out with Zelda and Link in a small area at the base of the trees that acted as the Sheikah's training ground.

Saif pointed at the gun in her belt. "Is that a magic item?"

Zelda laughed. "No, but that's pretty close to what it is," she said as she pulled her gun out of her back pocket. She dropped out the magazine and popped out the chambered round before she held it out to him. 

Saif reached out and took the proffered gun. "It's heavy!" he exclaimed in surprise.

"Yeah," she said. "I was shocked the first time I held a gun too. And it's not even loaded."

"So what is it?"

"Well... It's a metal weapon that shoots things called bullets," she said as she held out her hand and he returned the gun to her. "This is how it works," she said as she took it and reloaded it. She pointed it at the target. "When you pull this trigger... it's super loud so cover your ears." A blast went off, and then she turned back to Saif.

His eyes were wide as he put his hands down from his ears. "That's not magic?"

"Nope."

"How?"

"I shouldn't explain the exact science to you. It would take awhile, but it isn't magic."

"Would it work against monsters?"

"Yeah, I used it against a Manhandla a few days ago."

"Woah! Really? One of those big plant things?"

"Yeah, shot it in the eyes. Worked pretty well."

He had wide eyes filled with jealously, then he looked at the ground. "...I still prefer my sword," Saif defended as he pulled it out of its small sheath and ran a finger across the middle of it.

"Link would probably agree with you on that one."

"He has a sword?"

"Yeah."

"Where..."

Zelda frowned. "I don't know how it works but..."

She turned towards Link who was socializing with two other boys, Amar and Kadir. "Hey, Link!"

Link turned around and smiled. "Yeah?"

"How does your sword work?"

He frowned. "I have no idea."

She laughed. "Helpful."

He held out his hand and light spread from around it. Then the light returned and formed a luminous blade. As the light faded his sword was revealed.

Saif was staring with wide eyes. "That is so cool."

Link smirked. "Thank you," he said as he twirled it around in one hand.

Are you showing off? Zelda asked.

What? Of course not.

Liar.

What's wrong with showing off?

Hmph, nothing I guess.

Are you just jealous you can't summon a sword?

Never.

Liar.

Shut up, Link.

You didn't mean that.

You're such a--

Watch yourself princess, you might be caught in a lie again, he interrupted, and she didn't even have to look at him to know he was smirking.

Link, you-

"Are you alright?" Kadir asked.

"Of course. Why?" Zelda asked as she glanced over at Link before turning to Kadir.

"You looked flustered all of a sudden," Saif said.

"Ah, sorry... spaced out."

Saif smirked slightly as he looked at her. "Did you?"

Zelda blinked a few times but didn't reply.

"We know the legend; that the chosen ones have telepathic abilities!" Amal said excitedly. "So is it true?" he asked hopefully.

Do we tell them? Link asked as he dropped the sword and it vanished in a flash of light.

If it's in their stories... might as well? Zelda said as she tilted her head.

Link shrugged and then nodded.

Zelda reached out to Amal with her mind, breaking contact with Link. It's true.

His jaw dropped as he stared at her with wide eyes. He grinned then. "That's so incredible!" He said as he turned to the other two. "It's true! Zelda told me in my mind!" Amal said excitedly.

-_-_-

Zelda and Link sat next to each other for dinner in what the Sheikah called 'the dining hall.'

"Hey Zelda, Link!" Kalil greeted as she sat across from them. "Is it true you're telepaths?"

Link smirked slightly. "Wow, word travels fast here."

Zelda rolled her eyes and then turned to Kalil. "Yeah, it's true."

She grinned widely. "That's so cool," she said. "So what's it like? How does it work?"

Zelda shrugged. "It's hard to explain. It's like reaching out with your mind and then talking through a connection. It's not exactly thoughts but..." She frowned. "You can tell what the other person is feeling through the link."

"Oooh, that sounds intimate." Kalil cooed.

Zelda blushed slightly. "I-it's not really. Not unless you make it like that."

She raised an eyebrow. "Oh? What do you mean?"

"Well, when Link and I first talked telepathically I didn't even know who he was so it was hardly..."

"She's right, it's not intimate until you make it."

Zelda shivered slightly at the way he said it. Way to sound creepy, Link.

Creepy wasn't the word you were looking for.

Kalil smirked slightly as she looked from Link to Zelda. "You guys are so perfect for each other."

"What? You barely even know us yet," Zelda replied as she looked away from the both of them and shoved a bite of food into her mouth.

Link smiled at Kalil and rolled his eyes. "Don't choke Zel," he advised.

"What are you talking about you-" Zelda started to snap but then began to cough.

"That's what I'm talking about."