Not Normal Staff (6)

Zelda's heavy eyes opened early that morning. Not ready to get out of bed, she rolled over and tried to fall back asleep.

Instead of shutting off, her mind started to wander back to the days before. She had a bodyguard now? One that ticked her off, sure, but also added something new to her life. Plus there was the totally unresolved mystery of that telepath in her school. It had seemed totally out of nowhere... and over something so small as bullies in the library?

In order to have telepathy, one needed to be descended from the royal family, and her parents had said nothing about relatives in the area. Not that she trusted her parents to be honest with her...

She stared at the ceiling, trying to find some sort of truth within. Who was she anyway? A girl who wanted to be different than her family... A girl who longed for freedom. The way her life was going, neither of those would be an option.

Zelda rolled out of bed and went to take a shower. Her thoughts continued to roll through her mind, but they never stopped on any answers. It continued on in the same cycle as she settled in the corner of the room with her book. The number of books she had read would probably have equaled a whole library section by now. She enjoyed romance books and any sort of action-oriented love stories she could get her hands on.

The day progressed around her as she focused on the fictional world within words. It kept her mind off of other things, like Link, and her frustration at her parents - which was always there.

Her eyes flicked up from the page as she heard a thump against her balcony door. It sounded like a bird had flown into it, which didn't exactly surprise her. That had happened before. She set her book aside and walked to the door so she could investigate.

Then it happened again, and her hackles rose.

Don't.

That voice was back, and she would get her answers this time! She spun around in a full circle, looking for the speaker somewhere in her room. No one was there, not that she expected someone to have been able to sneak in...

Since she couldn't project her thoughts if she couldn't see the person, she just took hold of the original words and sent her reply through them. Why? she asked, angry.

Because it's dangerous.

Zelda almost threw away all caution, almost opened the door to look for the stupid source of the voice, but she didn't. And just how do you know that? She was fully suspicious, and she made sure that the owner of the voice would know.

I just do- the voice in her head cut off, and she thought that she might have heard a grunt from it. Just stay where you are.

Zelda growled and hit the door, frustration overcoming her. She opened the curtains and tried to look out, but she couldn't see anything past her balcony. Then she flinched back as loud blasts echoed through the door. What was that? What is going on!

There was a long minute of unnerving radio silence, then the voice returned. Good morning. Apologies for the rude disturbance.

Zelda opened the door and ran onto the balcony, searching everywhere for the voice, but what she saw instead were several forms on the lawn. As she kept looking, she saw one more on her roof. What in the name of Hylia... What the heck happened here.

Nothing for you to worry about. Just a few idiots with a bad idea.

One thing she knew about communicating with your mind was that it was very hard to lie. Impossible, even... but she had to admit that he was very good at it; though she could still tell that he had. Just a few thugs? she scoffed. Yeah right. You think I'd believe a few thugs could get onto my property without the staff stopping them?