Vigilant (7)

"What?"

"You heard me."

"No. You are not staying in here through the night!" Zelda replied, balling her fists. "This is my home-"

"And your parent's orders."

"If anyone tries to get me I can roast their sorry hide, it's my house, I can use magic here!"

Link only narrowed his eyes. "Your parents expressly told me I was not to leave you unguarded at night. I will follow their instructions."

"I am fine, regardless of their orders."

Link folded his arms. "I don't know what else to say. I'm doing my job."

Zelda growled and stalked into her bathroom, slamming the door behind her. "Then don't say anything at all!" she said after it closed.

What word could she use to describe her bodyguard? She had been in his company for only three days, but she still hadn't learned a blessed thing about him! And now he was going to stay in her room? How could her parents have arranged this!

She thought about how any question she had asked him had been met with cryptic remarks or vague dissociation. Sure, it wasn't his job to be friends with her, but if they were going to be stuck together she at least wanted to know something about him.

Stepping out in her pajamas, she glared at Link. "Stay over there, or I'll leave your body where no one can find it."

"Friendly," he replied, then turned to look out the window.

She got into her bed and drew the curtains shut. At least she had that protection from him watching her. Ugh. A shiver went through her at the thought. How long had this boy been stalking her? He had said months...

Sleep would be hard to come by tonight.

~*~

Zelda almost wished that had been the case... If she hadn't fallen asleep, she wouldn't have had another nightmare that night... It left her as tired as she had been when she went to sleep... and it may have been better if she'd just never gone to bed.

"Two nights in a row..." she growled to herself, then ripped the curtain back.

Link startled at the motion, but relaxed as he looked over to match her gaze. She was glaring at him, as usual, but he smiled. "Good morning."

Her glare diminished; he looked as tired as she felt. "Did you sleep at all?"

"No. I can't."

She frowned. Is it just me, or did his voice break a little... "Aren't you tired?"

"No."

"You're lying," she said as she swung her legs off the bed. As she stood up and walked to her bathroom, she shot a glance at him over her shoulder. "Go to sleep. I'm sure you'll wake up to me trash talking whoever manages to get into my room." She shut the door behind her and sighed. Having a guard who is sleep deprived doesn't help me, she thought. Whatever... I'm not his mother. He knows his own limits.

Zelda smirked as she turned on the music in her bathroom, cranking it up to as high as she could bear. Let him deal with that. She stopped in front of the shower. "Wait... I told him to go to sleep..." she muttered to herself; inaudible past the music. Grumbling, she turned it down and then started the shower.

~*~

Zelda left the bathroom through the closet door almost an hour later. An hour later, and Link hadn't even moved from where he had been sitting. "Hey, I told you to go to sleep."