Eldin (15)

No more waking up in the middle of the night, no more dreams; she hadn't had a single one of them since she left the Ordona Province, traveling to Eldin instead.

It was twelve days since she moved provinces, and she was getting antsy trying to live in a hole. She decided to venture into the world. She went to a skating rink, hit a shooting range to practice with the guns, and then she went shopping.

It was really for that reason that she left on day fourteen for a new place to stay. She decided to skip out on the hotels that time and she instead crashed somewhere a little more cost efficient.

She teleported into the old school and then walked down the halls. Never before had a school given her the creeps like this one did. As she walked she looked at the old lockers; some were open, some were closed, and some didn't have any doors at all. That unnerved her more than anything else.

After she had explored the school she went to the nurses office and looked around. Her eyes landed on a bed with wheels. She smiled as she nodded. "It's perfect," she said as she rolled one of the beds from the nurses office and into the large gym.

She brought it through the big room and rolled it through another door into the the shower rooms. She situated the bed and then she walked into one of the showers. She checked the water and was glad it still ran even though it was cold.

Zelda smiled. It wouldn't be so bad. It was a new adventure. A new rhythm.

The first night had taken her a rather long time to fall asleep. It was such an eerie place because of its lack of electricity. She had a flashlight, but it was still creepy. She kept the gun under her pillow; hopefully she didn't accidentally shoot a wall if she freaked out in the middle of the night.

The next morning she explored the school more thoroughly, which eased most of her fears. It was completely devoid of any other life... that she could see. She was still fearful of discovering rats.

She left the school every week to get supplies. The cafeteria's stove was still usable if she lit a fire in the bottom of it. It wasn't very safe or anything, but she used a shield around it so she didn't burn the whole place down.

She returned to the showers that she had converted into a bedroom, and knelt by the bed. She pulled out a water bottle from under it and took a long drink. She had gotten used to living in the old school. It had been two weeks already since she had come to crash there. She settled down on the somewhat comfortable bed and snuggled into the blankets.

-_-_-

Ah... A dream again. It had been awhile; almost a full month since the last one. She was beginning to hope that she had seen the last of them. She turned and looked to the side. She was in a parking lot again, but as she turned to look at the building she realized it was the school that she was currently hiding in. 

That probably wasn't a good sign.

Two months of hiding... was it ever going to end?

She turned around and sat on the curb. She just had to wait and Link would probably show up. She hadn't seen him in twenty six days. She had tried her best not to think about him in those days, to varying degrees of success. Zelda frowned as she closed her eyes. Things could hurt her in these dreams, but they couldn't kill her. She would always wake up.

"... Zel."

She opened her eyes slowly. "Link. Where you been?" she asked as she leaned her cheek against her hand and looked up at him. She blinked and her eyes widened as she registered what she was looking at. He had bruises on his cheek, up his arms, and giant splotches on his neck that peeked out from under his collar. There were bloodstains on his shirt, and a prominent cut on his cheek.

"I could ask you the same thing. You found a good hiding spot," he didn't seem to be in any pain, despite his grisly appearance.

"I'm not going to tell you where I am," she said as she looked away from him. He looked awful.

Link looked down at his boots and then back up at her. "You don't need to."

"I... wait what?"

"They found you Zel. You need to wake up."

Zelda stood up suddenly. "They? What? How did they find me?" They... not we...

"From me," he said as he raised a hand to his bruised neck guiltily.

She stared. "Link what...What's going on? A month ago you killed me in one of these dreams. Why are you warning me now? What happened to you?"

"You have to wake up. You have to run."

"I can't wake up on command! And you haven't answered anything!"

Link shook his head. "I can't waste any more time," he said as he held out his hand and the sword appeared again. "I'm sorry... I tried, but in the end I failed. Wake up. Run."