Worth (25)

Link was rather... enraptured by her words; her explanation of why she was grateful to be out there at that moment. How she had looked away from him in what he knew was embarrassment. A broad smile spread across his face at that.

"You weren't the only one who made their first real friend. Really, all my old friends were crooks." He shook his head. "You were the first sane person I had contact with for an extended period of time." He fidgited a bit with his hands as he managed to catch her eye. "And you were so much different from what I was used to that... Well..." He reddened slightly. "That alone was enough to make me doubt the work I was doing." He smirked slightly. "You're the reason I rebelled."

"Oh, I'm flattered," Zelda replied with a smile that turned into a smirk after just a second. "I'm such a bad influence, I'm so sorry."

Link smirked in response. "Oh no, you shouldn't apologize, it turned out well," he said, and then he gestured around them. "Well, as well as... this."

"And this is nice," she said. "Except I do miss my bed," she added. "Miss it so bad sometimes," she trailed of and folded her arms around herself.

"Hey, Zel?"

Zelda turned her gaze from the tree over to him. "Yeah?"

"You ever wish you were born at a different time?" he asked.

Zelda frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I mean like..." He paused. "Like in the old histories. Do you ever wish you could have lived your life like the old Princess Zeldas lived? Maybe even had one of their lives?"

She thought about that for awhile. "I've always thought about it. When I was younger I always wished that I had been born back when a Princess was more free than I was. But no... I don't wish for that anymore. I haven't in a long time. Even though Hylia's spirit goes from chosen Zelda to Zelda, and then ended up in me it's still... " She let out a sigh and shook her head. "If I lived in another time then..."

"... you would no longer be... You," Link finished.

Zelda nodded slowly. "Exactly."

"And yet, as you said, you've been somewhat the same person because of the fact that you are Hylia's reincarnation." He paused. "You don't have... memories, do you?"

"Well... do you?"

"What?"

"You've got the Triforce of Courage. You're the chosen hero. Do you have any memories of your past lives?"

Link shook his head. "No. If I did this would probably be a whole different story."

"Why do you say that?"

Link blushed suddenly. "Oh. Uh..." He looked down at his hands. "Just the way that I've heard about how in the past, our incarnations... were..."

Zelda's cheeks turned red as she realized what he was saying. "Oh," she said. Was that really all she could say? "I've never thought of that till now..."

They sat in an embarrassing silence for a while. It was no surprise they were awkward about the subject. They had both accepted the fact that they were the reincarnations of ancient people of great importance... They now had to accept the embarrassing fact that many people believed the two to be... soulmates...

Zelda couldn't argue with the fact that she did feel very comfortable with him, and that she could... like him in that way. She glanced up at him and then looked away quickly. No... she thought slowly. Then she looked up again and her eyes landed on his hands. She glanced down at her own hand and then made a fist. Holding hands, falling asleep on him... Yes...