Escape (16)

Zelda jolted upright. "By the goddesses I could never get used to that," she groaned as she rubbed at her aching chest. Of course there was no other way to wake her up than to kill her.

What in Din's name was going on? She had no time for questions as much as she would have liked to just think for a good long while.

Zelda quickly gathered her essentials and shoved them into her backpack. She had just gone shopping for fresh supplies too; what a waste, because now she would have to leave it all behind.

She twirled on the spot and she teleported into the attic, and then once more onto the roof. She crouched as she peeked over the crest of the roof in order to look at the parking lot. There was nothing for a minute, but then several cars suddenly pulled into the parking lot, parking rather improperly. Multiple people came out from each one and they assembled in front of the school.

She waited and watched as they broke down the front doors and then started to search the school, presumably for her.

Zelda noticed that they hadn't left anyone at the front door. Had they assumed she would still be sleeping? She looked down at her watch and saw that it was only four in the morning. Four. In. The. Morning. What kind of savages invaded a hiding spot at four in the morning?

She stood up straighter and looked around as she tried to decide which direction to run in. The town? They'd assume she'd gone that way... the forest?

Steal a car.

Zelda froze as she was about to teleport. ...What? She hadn't heard from the telepath in two months and "...What?" was just about all she could muster.

You heard me. Steal a car.

She hesitated and then twirled and appeared in the parking lot. She was down on the ground now, but she had to actually get to one of the cars. Zelda checked one more time for a guard left behind; when she saw that the coast was clear she ran over to a car and reached out for the handle.

Not that one.

Zelda froze. Okay. Which one?

The next one, he replied. It's locked so teleport in, the oddly reliable voice added.

She did as the telepath told her and then sat uncomfortably in the drivers seat. It was leather... and still warm. I can't drive very well. How do I start it?

It's already going.

Really?

Yeah. So just go. It doesn't matter if you're good at driving it or not, as long as you don't hit anything big enough to total the car you should be fine.

Zelda looked at the steering wheel and then took a sharp breath. "Alright," she said as she let the breath out.

Put the car in drive.

Thanks, keep telling me what to do, Zelda said as she followed the instructions.

I assume that wasn't sarcasm.

It wasn't, Zelda replied as she shook her head. If you want me to drive this thing then you have to walk me through it.

Right peddle is the accelerator, use that like no tomorrow.

Alright, Zelda said, and the engine roared as she pressed it. They zoomed out of the parking lot and she couldn't help but squeal a little bit as they bounced over a curb. Thankfully the car was a large SUV and it could handle a curb.

That would be a tree; don't hit it.

Thank you. I would have driven right into it without your sage words, she said sarcastically as she wrenched the steering wheel in order to dodge the foliage.

Did you seriously just use your blinker?

I didn't mean to! How do I turn it off?

Zelda drove for a good hour. After awhile there was time for her to calm down, and she began to think.

She had heard from the telepath first, and then Link had helped her, and declared himself her bodyguard. The telepath saved her several times, and then warned her that Link was the enemy. She had been on the run for a month when the dream Link killed her, and now a month after that he had... saved her?

Yeah her life still made no sense to her. She sighed as she tightened her hands on the steering wheel. The roads were rather abandoned because it was only five in the morning.

Where have you been? I haven't heard from you since you left me alone in an attic.

Well I sent you that warning text.

Ahh... I guessed that that was you.

Zelda leaned forwards in the seat and pressed closer to the steering wheel. She didn't like the tense feeling in her back that was as a result of the driving. Then a pressing thought wormed its way into her mind. Telepaths have a range.

Yeah... So?

So how have I been driving for so long and you're still there?

Silence.

Are you in another car following me?

Silence.

Could you seriously just answer me for once?

Do you know how annoying it is to not be able to lie while communicating telepathically? It's very annoying.

It's helpful, Zelda said. If not for that attribute of telepathy I wouldn't have believed you. You said Link was the enemy and you weren't lying, she tightened her fingers on the steering wheel and focused on the passing street lights. He saved me today. What do you have to say about that?

I have to be silent most of the time because I can't lie.

I'm tired of you just ignoring my questions.

... I think you're safe now.

I think you should answer me.

I...

Zelda waited as she drove, but nothing else was said. I...?

I don't think I can... explain.

Is it really going to be so difficult?

There was a soft chuckle. I would think so...

There was another silence as she waited.

Fine... Pull over.

Zelda shrugged and pulled into the next town. She parked rather badly in a hotel parking lot. What was that telepath doing? She looked around for another car, but nothing approached.

Get out.

She did.

Go to the back of the car.

When she had the voice continued. Now open it.

She just wanted some answers, and as she pulled open the back; she got some.