Land of the Lakes (24)

Zelda was very glad that she didn't have to construct the portal they had used to leave the Fairy Fountain. She had little to no idea how to work that magic just yet.

The portal had taken them to the shore of a small lake; there was a lake behind then too, and to their right.

They had been transported from the Sea of Trees to the Land of the Lakes. A very grand shortcut which saved them many days of travel.

When they had exited the portal they had been holding hands. Their bags were waiting for them on the ground, which had relieved her. Zelda smiled but she said nothing as Link stared at the water. He seemed to be just as transfixed by the lakes as she had been by the trees, and she couldn't help but stare at him. She was just as enraptured by the expression on his face as he seemed to be by the land. He looked relieved, ready for a rest, and irrevocably happy.

He looked over at her at last and noticed the smile on her face. "What?" he asked.

"It's just nice to see you happy like that," she replied. "Two months ago you didn't smile enough... and even when you did it wasn't as genuine as the expression on your face while your were looking at those lakes."

He looked down as she said that, and he seemed to realize that their fingers were intertwined. His cheeks flushed. "So... a Great Fairy," he said lightly as he changed the subject away from himself.

'I don't like to talk about myself,'  she recalled. She smiled and followed the change. "That was so incredible," she said as she squeezed his hand lightly, which earned her a twitch of surprise from Link. "Who would have guessed just how accurate those games really are?" she said as she looked over at him and used her free hand to trace the scar on his red cheek. "I'm really glad she healed you."

Link closed his eyes and smiled as her fingers brushed his new scar. "I'm glad she gave us this short cut. Walking is terrible." Then he raised their intertwined hands to look at. "And that power she gave you... That's incredible."

She nodded; her eyes fixed on their hands. It seemed so normal already, and yet it also made her blush. "... Yours as well."

Link shrugged as their hands dropped to their sides. "I could already take a lot."

"Yes, but with this new ability you won't get as hurt as before, even with the same attack. That's awesome."

He nodded. "It is," he said as he looked down at their hands again. "...We should set up camp now," he suggested as he looked at the sunset reflecting in the lake.

She nodded as she followed his gaze over to the beautiful colors reflecting off of the water's surface in an amazing display of how pretty nature could be.

As Zelda admired the sight she had to shake herself mentally to get her mind back to the task at hand. They had to set up before the sun went down, not waste the dwindling daylight because it was pretty. She reluctantly let go of Link's hand, but without it she felt colder almost at once. She had reached for Link's pack before she realized that he was healed and he didn't need her help anymore.

She smiled, but she was also slightly disappointed that she wasn't of as much use anymore. She had to shake herself again.

Zelda picked up her pack and strapped it on. She turned in a full circle as she scanned for a place to set up. Then she pointed at one of the trees. "That one looks incredible!" She said in surprise. "Its branches actually look like a staircase!" She continued excitedly.

Link turned to look after he secured his pack. He nodded and then gave a small smile. "It really does," he said and then led the way as they started to walk.

It took them about ten minutes to get there. "Seems like a good place to avoid monsters too," Zelda said.

"We'll see," Link replied as he set his bag down on one of the branches. "Monsters might like staircase trees. Who knows." He paused and then opened his pack. "I'm hungry again."

Zelda smiled. "I am too."

-_-_-

Full of food, Zelda leaned back against the tree. It was just as large as any of the other trees she had marveled at, but this one was one of the last big trees before the land was taken up by green fields and lakes.

Link looked over her as her eyes were closed and her head was resting back against the trunk of the magnificent tree. He smiled and then recalled what she had said about him. "...you didn't smile enough." His hand raised up and his fingers traced his newfound smile; that had certainly been true of him in the past. He'd had no reason but his own achievements to bring nothing but a satisfied smile to his lips.

Zelda stirred and looked towards him. She raised an eyebrow as she made eye contact with him and noted his smile. "I wonder why it is that I can always tell when you're watching me."

Link smirked slightly. "I haven't a clue," he said. "But that is true; you could always tell... Even back to the first day I followed you home."

Zelda tilted her head to the side. "I knew something was off when you said you'd followed me home since the first day and I hadn't noticed."

He shrugged. "Well, it was more believable that way right? Your parents wouldn't have hired me halfway through a school year."

"They didn't hire you at all," she replied as she rolled her eyes.

Link looked down at his hands "I-"

"Link," Zelda interrupted before he got a word in. "You were about to apologize again, weren't you?"

He looked to the side and nodded curtly. "Can't help it when I feel so bad about everything I..."

"Think about something else then. Something happy maybe."

"Happy huh..." He was silent for a moment and then he looked up at her. "When you asked if I had a pet and I told you a chicken tried to kill me; you laughed." He smiled. "I didn't hear you laugh much back then... And you laughed at something I said. It was nice." He rested his cheek against his hand. "You know... you didn't smile much back then either."

"I didn't?"

Link shook his head. "Not really. You smirked a lot though."

Zelda chuckled softly. "That's probably true even if I don't quite remember." She smiled slightly. "Well, back then I didn't really have much that I thought I could smile about." Her face saddened slightly. "I took so much for granted... That house... my safety... Even your role as my guard."

"You smile more now... Why? Your life isn't any better than before. You're on the run now."

Zelda folded her hands in her lap. "Really the only negative thing that's different now than before are my living conditions. I'm still in danger, like I have been my whole life...." She trailed off as she looked over at him. "But there are so many positive things as a result of everything that's happened. I've been able to go on what I could call an adventure! I've been able to travel outside of Hyrule; to see something other than buildings. I've been able to actually fight with the magic I've inherited. I fought a monster and I won. I've been given a new magic power!" She bit her lip and then pressed on. "I've been able to make a..." Zelda looked away from him. "... a friend."