Inside the Light (23)

Zelda stared around. There were trees surrounding them that were even larger than the ones they had left behind. The trunks had only a few inches between them, and so they were trapped inside the strangely shaped clearing.

"Guess we can only go that way." Link said as he gestured in front of them.

"Yeah," Zelda replied, and then she looked behind her. "Our packs are gone!" she said in shock.

Link looked behind him. "Nothing we can do at this point." He examined the clearing. "The path ends up there at some kind of... pond."

"Well, we might as well just go," she replied as she stepped over to him and slipped her arm around his waist to help him walk the distance.

"I don't-" he stopped his protest and he smiled. "... Thanks."

They arrived at the water in just a minute and when they stopped Zelda didn't let go of him. She stared as the middle of the pond started to glow under the surface.

A small ball of light with wings came out from the water and hovered. Light spread from the little fairy until it was taller than they were; in an instant the light cleared. Standing on the top of the water was a green haired woman in a long green shimmering dress; four gossamer wings spread out from her back and shone in the bright sunlight.

"I am the Great Fairy of Forest, guardian of the Sea of Trees. You have done well to defeat the Manhandla."

Zelda stared with wide eyes as the entire scene unfolded. Eventually she found her voice. "That... plant thing?"

The fairy looked at Zelda and smiled. "Yes."

"Thank you..." she replied. "Uhm... why are we here? Where did our supplies go?"

"Your supplies will be returned to you when you leave this place," the fairy said. "Your highness," she continued as she bowed her head. "...hero, it is an honor to meet you."

"You know us?" Link asked.

"Indeed," she replied as she raised one hand and beckoned. "Hero, come forwards."

Zelda looked over at Link.

He shrugged. "Guardian fairy; can't be evil, right?"

She bit her lip and nodded. "Guess not," she said as she stepped back from him.

He took a few unsteady steps forwards and looked up at the tall enchanting being.

The fairy smiled. "Do not be dismayed," she said as brought her hands together. As her palms parted a small fairy flew from between them.

It fluttered down from the fairy fountain and circled Link's body, and then when it was done it flew away.

Link stared down at his stomach with his mouth open. He lifted his shirt and ripped off the bandages. The white cloth was red in places but underneath, where the wounds were just seconds ago, were dull white stripes. He looked up at the fairy and then fell onto one knee. "Thank you," he said as he looked up. "Thank you."

"No need for your thanks, Chosen Hero," she replied as she inclined her head.

Zelda stared with an open mouth. He was healed? That only happened in the games! She walked to his side and examined the side of his face. All that was there now was a small scar where the open wound had just been moments before. "... All better?"

Link looked over at her with a smile. "All better," he replied.

"As in the days of old, I will bestow gifts unto the heroes."

"Heroes?" Zelda asked.

The fairy smiled as she crouched to get on the same level as her. "Yes, Princess Zelda, you are also a hero."

"Does that mean I'm also a princess?" Link asked.

Zelda laughed and pushed Link slightly. "Oh shut it you, that was my moment."

Link rolled his eyes.

The fairy stood up and brought her hands together once again. "To the Hero Link-" she started as she held out her hand. "I give you heightened defense for the protection of the land. When attacked you will receive only half the damage you would otherwise."

Link bowed his head. "Thank you, Great Fairy," he said as a light enveloped him.

As it faded the fairy turned to Zelda. "To you I give a very special gift. The portal that brought you here was a powerful magic left behind by the goddesses." She bowed her head. "Zelda, as you are the reincarnation of the White Goddess, Hylia, I return this power to you."

Zelda looked down at her hands as her whole body began to glow. Portals? As the light faded she expected to feel something, and she was actually right. A slight energy ran through her arms to her hands. "Thank you..." she said breathlessly.

The Great Fairy of Forest smiled. "You are most welcome," she replied. "I do not have to explain how to use your new gift. You will know."

"But I don't..." she replied. "How do I-"

"Peace..." the fairy said. "You will remember. In the meantime," she said as she gestured to her right. "Use this portal. It will take you where you need to go."

Zelda bit her lip and then bowed her head. "Thank you," she repeated. Then she turned to face Link. "Well..."

Link nodded and then bowed to the fairy.

They both walked towards the portal, but before they went through the fairy spoke again.

"You do know why you have been reborn in this time, correct?"

"An evil has arisen," Zelda said as she turned around. "Isn't that right?"

"The age old evil."

She hesitated. "A man named Maldus wants to steal our pieces of the Triforce... Is he not the evil?"

The Great Fairy turned towards them; her four wings glimmering behind her. "He is but the smaller part of a more dangerous whole. You must keep your pieces of the Triforce hidden from him, and his master; at all costs."