Answers (18)

"You're the freaking telepath."

I am, Link replied, and she could tell he was trying to be calm about it, yet there was an inner turmoil behind his words.

"You tried to warn me in the library."

I did.

"You helped me avoid the sniper in my backyard.... And you pretended to be asleep too so I wouldn't know if was you!"

I did pretend to be asleep, Link chuckled, though it was only in his mind.

"You literally told me that you were my enemy. While helping me."

... yeah.

"And you believed yourself too... " Zelda let out a shaky breath. She sighed and shook her head. "So all this time you were like a triple-ish agent? Working for Maldus, but helping me; while believing you were still the bad guy?"

Well... Not the entire time, he said with his mind. It really did hurt him to talk.

Zelda bit her lip. "Please explain.... From the beginning," she asked.

I don't think-

Now.

Link paused and remained silent for awhile. He came to realize that he could feel Zelda's chest rising and falling as he rested against her... It was strangely comforting. Alright, but only if you drive while I do.

Zelda hesitated. "Where are we going to go now?"

We should leave Hyrule.

Her jaw dropped. "That's... I... how are we going to get over the border?"

Let's just get going.

Zelda nodded slowly and then loosened her arms from around his shoulders.

He moved forwards and then dropped out of the car; landing unsteadily on his feet.

Zelda hurried after him and lent him her support as she brought him to the passenger door and helped him get in.

She got into the driver's seat and then pulled out of the hotel parking lot a lot more gently than she had from the school parking lot.

"... Explain."

Link nodded slowly. "Where do you want me to start?"

"Where you left off."

Link nodded. No, I wasn't a double agent. Not at first... I was supposed to protect you, and so I did.

"Why protect me? I thought Maldus wanted me dead."

Link shook his head slowly. Maldus doesn't want you dead... He wants you as... He looked away uncomfortably. He wants to use your piece of the Triforce. I never believed in the old stories, he said as he glanced over at her. I never thought that the Triforce was even real... Not until the day we were finally supposed to take you did I really understand what was going on.

Zelda had to think about that for a solid few minutes. So Maldus didn't want her dead? Then something clicked into place. "You weren't on my side until... until that very day?"

Not... Not entirely no. I mean... He hesitated, and she could have sworn she felt a touch of embarrassment in those words. "While I was guarding you I felt like I became a friend to you... I guess..."

Zelda nodded slowly. "I felt that," she admitted. "When I thought you had betrayed me I was..." she stopped.

"But I had betrayed you."