City in the Trees (28)

That's a lot of new information.... but how do we know she's telling the truth? Link asked after Zelda had shared what Aamina had told her.

Well... What would be the point in lying to us?

Maldus could be playing us again.

I doubt he'd make up such a story. He'd just kill us.

Take our Triforce pieces.

Yeah that's what I meant, sorry.

Link sighed. "Well, I guess we'll just have to take it as truth until we have a reason not to trust them."

Zelda nodded. "I believe her though... I want to believe her. I know there has to be a reason we were born with this," she said as she held up her palm against his which resulted in the Triforce appearing on the back of their hands. "I'd like to think we that know what we're supposed to do now."

Link looked down at the glowing triangles on the back of his hand. "And here I thought we might be able to just..." He shook his head and then looked up at her. "You're right. It's better that we know. We have to be able to stop the darkness; after all, it's why we were born."

A knock came softly from the door, and then it slowly opened. Someone peeked in, but it wasn't Aamina. "Ah, not kissing," said the newcomer; she sounded disappointed.

Zelda flushed red and dropped her hand from Link's. "What?"

The red headed girl started to laugh as she walked into the room and then leaned back against the wall. "Everyone already knows about how you two kissed right before you were brought here."

Her face darkened as she realized what that meant. Of course her first kiss had had an audience. She glanced over at Link.

His face was red as well, but he didn't look as mortified as she felt. "You couldn't have given us another minute?" he asked, annoyed, but his voice was also humored.

"They gave you all the time they could, be grateful for that," she replied with a smile.

"Who are you?" Zelda asked, her voice small as she repeated Link's words in her mind. It was funny the way he had said it but it also made her heart quicken.

"Oh sorry, I'm Kalil," she replied as she bent on one knee. "I just wanted to see you two for myself."

The door opened wide. "Kalil what are you doing in here?" Aamina scolded.

She jumped to her feet in surprise. "Aamina, sorry, I-"

"Run along, Kalil. If you wish to talk with them you can do it at lunch."

"Y-yes Matriarch," she said as she glanced back at Zelda and Link. "I'll see you later." She smiled and then dashed out.

"That girl, so full of energy..." Aamina sighed. "Follow me," she said as she walked out of the room again.

Link glanced at Zelda and then held out his hand in silence.

She looked at him and then down at the floor. It had been normal before but... now that they had kissed it was different.

"Come on," he said with a chuckle as he grabbed her hand and then pulled her after him.

Zelda followed, relieved. She'd wanted to hold his hand and yet... Her thoughts were swept away as they left the room and she saw what was before them. She stared at the wondrous sight.

A large circle of trees encircled a grassy clearing. She looked up and saw bridges and walkways, windows and doors. The Sheikah lived in the trees. The village was completely covered by the canopy above them, and the trees were so close together they formed a tight clearing that shielded the settlements of the Sheikah from all angles. Only one who knew where to look could possibly find them. "This is incredible," she said in awe as she stopped moving.

"How did you make the rooms?" Link asked as he pulled Zelda after him to keep up with their guide.

"They were carved one by one," Aamina replied as she smiled. "This clearing was ready for us when we returned and found our homes gone. Swallowed by the water."

"Returned to your homes gone?" Link repeated in question.

"Our cities were mostly in ruins anyway as a result of the war, but when the goddesses returned the lands to nature... These trees appeared overnight; lakes formed within days. Mountains rose, and the desert spread. Within a few days all civilization was enveloped by the earth...except for Hyrule. The Zora took their refuge in the water; building their grand cities under the surface. The Goron colonized the mountains and volcanoes. The Gerudo rebuilt in their deserts, and we, the Sheikah, took to the trees. It was at this time that the Sheikah tribe split into two and went their separate ways."

"So the Gerudo fought with Hyrule in the beginning?" Link asked.

"We all did."

"... Gosh Hyrule, what were you thinking?" Zelda muttered.

Aamina shook her head. "We asked that question ourselves many times. But now isn't the time to think about the past," she said. "Now it is time to eat." 

They crossed a length of solid wood like a branch that had been flattened into a bridge, and then they went down several wooden staircases. They crossed another bridge and then entered a large area. It would have been like a normal cafeteria but for the fact that it had no ceiling. Vines stretched above and there were little bulbs hanging from them but she couldn't figure what their purpose was. Tables and chairs sat under a canopy that was flooded with sunlight.

"This is amazing," Zelda said.

"Get ready to meet a lot of people," Aamina warned.

"What?" she said. There was was no one in sight so who-

One by one people appeared from all sides of the clearing.

Link squeezed her hand as she shrunk back behind him. "It'll be fine Zel, they probably won't bite."

Zelda frowned as she looked over his shoulder. "Probably?"

He smirked. "Look, Kalil is first in line," he said as he pointed her out. "If they are all just eager to meet us then there won't be any problem."

"Right..."

Kalil was indeed the first to approach them. "Hello again," she said. She wasn't wearing anything on her head like she had been when they had first seen her. She had a kind face, rather like a child, and vivid red eyes to match her tan colored skin.

"So nice to see you again," Link replied as he chuckled. "Couldn't wait five minutes to see us?"

"I wasn't sure if she would bring you guys out today and I just had to meet the chosen ones myself."

Zelda smiled slightly. "So you don't see us as just icky Hylians?"

"No, there aren't many of us here that hold a grudge against the Hylians, not after so long. Besides, you weren't the ones who betrayed us; your ancestors don't define who you are." She shrugged. "Just make sure you don't meet one of the Shadow Folk, they'll have a different view on things." 

"Hey Kalil, let us meet them too!"

Kalil turned around and stuck out her tongue. "Just come over and meet them then, they probably won't bite."

Zelda caught Link's smirk and he laughed.

Alright alright I was worried over nothing... this isn't so bad.

I told you so.