The Plan in Motion (37)

Link coughed as the sand blew from the desert and into his face. 

Nasty desert.

He had read and reread the message Zelda had sent. She had given no indication where she was except for one small word. Come.

Zelda was already in the desert.

He knew it. He didn't know why she was in the desert, but that wasn't his concern. She was safe. Or she had been three days ago when she sent that message.

"Are you ready?"

Link turned around and looked to Kalil. He took a deep breath and then nodded. "This is it," he said.

Kalil smiled. "This is it," she said, shouldering her rather large gun that was strapped to her like a satchel bag.

He looked back and saw their waiting...'army.' The Gorons and the Sheikah stood with their forces combined. The Zora were nowhere to be seen. They were waiting further back as a second defense once the monsters broke through the first. The Zora couldn't fight in the desert anyways.

"I can honestly say I've never seen anything stranger than a Goron with a machine gun," Link commented.

"I would agree with that."

<::::::::[])O

Zelda ran down the hall and then hid behind the column.

Woman and men with flaming red ran past in the far hall. "The war is beginning!" a Gerudo yelled. "Gather your weapons!"

She let out her breath and then ran further down the hall. She stopped and slipped into a room.

"Zelda!" came a relieved voice.

"Oh, Nabara thank goodness," Zelda said as she let out her breath. "Everything ready?"

"As ready as it will ever be."

"Good. Thank you so much."

"No princess... thank you."

"Got that paper?"

"Right here."

O([]::::::::::>

Link watched as line after line of monsters of all colors started to line up in front of the castle. He had yet to distinguish monster from human yet however.

Aamina walked up beside him and laid a hand on his shoulder. "Hero... may our faith in Zelda be what brings us our victory."

Link nodded. "She certainly knows what she's-"

A small portal appeared and Link almost had a heart attack thinking it was already time. All that happened was a small piece of paper falling out and hitting the ground. A pen weighed the thing down. He picked it up and read.

To all of our forces, do not, I repeat do NOT shoot at any Gerudo if they are not carrying modern weaponry. If they've got a gun, they're an enemy. If they've got traditional weapons then they're on our side. Unless they're trying to kill you. There are a few traditionalists that I didn't manage to turn to our side.

See you soon Link. Toss the pen back through if you've gotten this message and are waiting for me where you're supposed to be.

Link stared down at the paper. "... What?"

Aamina had read it over his shoulder, and a wide smile spread across her face. "She's done it."

"She's....in there?" he said in disbelief as he pointed towards the castle in the far distance.

"It seems like it," Kalil popped up after reading the message too.

"She's...absolutely..." he started.

"Insane?" Kalil offered up.

"Totally and completely insane. But she's incredible," Link replied as he threw the pen through the portal. He waited for a few seconds and then the portal vanished.

<:::::::::[]0

Zelda smiled as the pen clattered to the ground. "It's beginning," she said as she turned towards Nabara. "Go. May the goddesses grant you aid."

"And you as well."

She nodded and then left the room dressed as a Gerudo with a cloak covering her blonde hair. She walked down the halls, still making an effort not to be seen at all... and then she stopped at the grand doors. That was where Nabara had said the darkness had first appeared. Where it had first taken over. She clutched her confidence close to her and then teleported through the doors.

She had expected it to be dark... that was what they were fighting... and yet there were hundreds of lights on the walls. It felt wrong.

She held up her hand to form the portal, ready to have Link at her side again.

"Oh I wouldn't do that," came a wretched voice, screeching every word and yet whispering every syllable.

Zelda turned just in time to teleport our of the way of... something shooting past. "Really?" she said and then spat on the ground. "Really," she shook her head as the walls around her burst into flames. Yeah she had known something about them didn't feel quite right.

A sharp laughter filled the air, and Zelda took a step back. It looked pretty bad, but she wasn't about to let all of her genius planning go to waste.

Even in the bright light of the fire she didn't see the blow coming.

Zelda grunted and then felt herself flying through the air towards the doors. She did her best to use that motion as the motion needed for teleportation. 

It worked.

She appeared on the other side of the door, and everything was silent. "I'm pissed now," she growled to the empty air. "Which is better than terrified." She lifted her hand and the portal burst into existence.

She only had to wait about seven seconds before Link jumped through. He had a shield on his back... what a weird thing to notice...

As their eyes met, Zelda ran up to him and kissed him so suddenly that Link stumbled back a step. Then he wrapped his arms around her and returned the kiss so passionately that he literally lifted her from the ground for a second. They parted quickly; the world being at stake and all...

"He's strong," Zelda said quickly; breathlessly. "I went in and tried to make the portal but he attacked me so fiercely that I had to teleport out of there. This is in no way going to be easy."

"We never thought it would be," Link said as he held out his hand and summoned his sword.