Plans (30)

Saif and Kalil were sitting next to Zelda during lunch, and Link was talking to Amal and Kadir over his food, thoroughly absorbed in talk of swordplay. Saif would have joined in, but he was already deep in conversation with Kalil and Zelda.

"What if we rode on dragons into battle," Saif said and then he laughed.

"Well that would be epic," Zelda replied. "Got any around?"

"No," Kalil said as she shook her head. "But I've heard about some living off in the mountains."

"Well that won't help us."

"How about giant eagles."

"Are those even real?"

"... No."

"What about... um... Training wildlife to invade the desert."

"That's ridiculous Saif," Zelda said as she laughed.

"That's the point of this discussion!" Saif countered.

"Hey, what about guns?" Kalil asked.

"What about them?" Zelda replied.

"Well, Saif told me you used one against a Manhandla. Why not use them against the various monsters?"

"The Sheikah don't know how to use guns," Saif argued.

Kalil frowned. "But... we could learn!"

"Where would you even get them?" Zelda asked.

She looked down at the table in defeat, but then seemed to brighten. "What about Hyrule?"

"What?"

"Isn't that where you got your guns?"

"Yeah but... the thought of you traditional Sheikah going into battle with guns is such a different concept that... Would it even work at all?"

Saif shrugged. "We're the swords, spears and arrows kinda people."

"The Sheikah employ magic as well as weapons. And we consider guns to be a sort of magic anyways. And bullets fly through the air like arrows do," Kalil countered.

"Yes but birds fly through the air like dragons do."

_-_-_

Zelda was pacing back and forth in their little room.

"Relax, Zel," Link said as he leaned back against the wall.

"Relax? How can I just relax while we-"

He stood up and walked over to her, grabbing her hands and holding them tightly. "Sit down, you're making me tired just watching you."

Zelda sank into the chair beside her and sighed. "It's just..."

"Are you worried about the meeting?"

Zelda nodded slowly. "What if we can't think of anything? Or what if we can't agree?"

"You're stressing."

"What if-"

"Zel. Chill," Link said firmly.

She bit her lip and then nodded, silently wishing she had courage instead of wisdom.

_-_-_

The council meeting was in full swing. Yet twenty minutes into it and they hadn't come close to anything.

"What about Hyrule? Can't we warn them about the threat? Won't they help at all?" Link asked.

Adiya, a young woman with bright red hair and equally as bright eyes, started to laugh. "Boy, you are naive. Hyrule only protects itself, and right now Maldus has them wrapped around his finger."

"I'm from Hyrule, and you-"

"What about my parents?" Zelda interrupted Link before he could say anything he'd come to regret. "They're the King and Queen. Surely they have more power than Maldus."

"Even if that's the case, it isn't enough. Hyrule lacks an army."

"Adiya is right..." Aamina said solemnly. "There is nothing that Hyrule can do to assist us."

Zelda glanced over out the window where she knew Saif was eavesdropping on the meeting. Their joking from the day before was suddenly sounding surprisingly feasible. "...And why not?"

"We just told you, Hyrule lacks-"

"That's not what I'm suggesting," Zelda interrupted Adiya.

"Then speak!" Rasima said, his voice impatient.

"I would if you just gave me a second!" she said and then she let out a sigh. "Listen, your magic is great and all... but Hyrule has things that may just work better than magic."

Link turned to her slowly. "You aren't seriously suggesting..."

Zelda positively grinned. "Why not?"

"Because that's just... just..."

"Absolutely insane? I know."

"What is going on!?" Yelled Rasima.

Zelda smiled as she turned to the meeting of the Sheikah. "I can create portals."

"Yes. So?" he asked.

"And Hyrule is further advanced in technology because it didn't have magic to depend on."

"And?"

"They have weapons you can't even imagine. Those will be pretty effective against monsters I would think. My little hand gun helped to take out a big Manhandla... I can create a portal directly inside the armory of Hyrule, allowing us to take all of the equipment we could need."

Link shook his head, but he was smiling. "You're going to train these people to shoot guns?"

"Hold on," Adiya interceded. "Why should we use guns when we have our own weapons?" she objected.

"Because they have a longer range than arrows do, and they are more powerful. No one has to fight close range," Link countered.

A chorus of approving murmurs spread throughout the council room.

"Wait a minute-" Adiya began, but she was interrupted as Aamina stood up at the head of the table.

"I approve of this plan. I do not wish anymore harm upon our people if it can be avoided with the help of... modern weaponry. However... It still won't be enough to defeat the hoards of monsters that are gathering. We are too few in number."

Zelda frowned. That was a problem. If they managed to defeat the overall source, but not the forces...what would become of the land? Would it be 'purged' again, as Aamina had told them about?

"What about the other races?" she asked.

"They will not join unless their land is threatened," Zahida replied.

"Won't it be? If Hyrule falls I mean?"

"That is up for debate," Shula answered.

"What if I could convince them that their land will be threatened?"

"There is no such way..."

"Watch me."

"But... your grace..." Zahida started.

"I won't just sit back and accept that their minds cannot be changed without at least trying to change them."