Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Nick looked through the catalogue annoyed, he flipped the pages rather quickly and sighed. "What's wrong bro?" Alex asked looking up from his laptop. Alex was wearing sweatpants and a long sleeve shirt, his hair was short and spiked at the front. His brown eyes focused on Nick.

"I'm trying to decide what to get Samantha for Christmas...It's next weekend and I haven't found anything good enough to give her." He said tossing the catalogue into a pile of the one's he had already gone through.

"There's a saying that goes, you can't put a price on love. If she likes you then it doesn't matter what you get. You don't even have to spend that much, make it sentimental. Something from you heart." Alex said full with wisdom.

"Yeah...but she deserves everything. If only she knew how special she was to me." He said looking down. "Then tell her that! Make a personal video or tell her in person. Be creative man." Alex said getting up, "I gotta go...Ariana is waiting for me. We have to go pick out some things for the wedding." He said placing the catalogue he was just looking at down on the table.

"See ya." Nick said as Alex walked out of the office. After a while, Nick got up and decided to go for a walk, He wasn't dressed up like usual because it had become so cold recently. He was wearing a pair of gray sweat pants and a black shirt. He took his keys and headed out, he walked out of his office down the street looking around.

He passed an electronics store and deicded to walk back, he went inside and brought a camera. He brought a Nikon and walked around for a little while before going back to his office. When he got back he set up the camera and started recording himself.

"Merry Christmas Princess!" He ran his fingers through his hair nervously, "I didn't want to get you a meaningless gift, I wanted it to be from the heart so I decided to make you a video for the following days. So everyday i'm gonna confess to you somethings." He said and smiled at how dumb he probably sounded.

"I've been thinking about you alot today and I can't get you out of my mind. I've been trying to pick out a gift for you for the past two weeks and nothing compares to my feelings for you. I know it's been about a month but I can't help the way I feel. Umm...Anyways I don't want to reveal too much before the last day. Anyways, have a wonderful day." He went up to the camera and stopped recording.

Samantha lay in bed wrapped up in blankets, she had suddenly caught the flu and was too sick to do anything. Her phone vibrated against the counter and she reached out and took it off the nightstand next to her bed.

Nick had called her earlier and was on his way with chicken noodle soup. Nick arrived rather quickly and knocked on the door. Samantha rolled out of bed lazily and went to the door and opened it.

"Hey beautiful." He said with an honesty in his voice. To him, she was beautiful no matter what.

"Hey handsome." She said with a stuffy nose, she was wearing sweatpants and a long sleeved shirt. Nick was similarly dressed and he went down for a kiss but she turned so he kissed her cheek.

"I don't want to get you sick." She said with a small smile. "I don't care." He said leaning down and kissing her gently on the lips. She kissed him back and he pulled away, "I brought you chicken noodle soup, chicken noodle soup." He began singing and dancing around, he had a large bowl of soup.

She smiled and went into the kitchen and pulled out two bowls and two spoons. He poured out some soup into both bowls after she placed the bowls on the table. "Soup soup soup soup." He sang repeatedly.

"Why are you so excited?" She asked him, "Cause I get to be with you!" He said coming behind her and kissing her neck and cheek with quick pecks making her giggle.

"You're crazy!" She shrieked giggling as he turned her around and kissed her cheeks repeatedly. He smiled and kissed her lips gently, "Let's eat!" He said sitting down and placing his hands together.

"Thank you for the food lord and thank you for bringing Samantha into my life. Amen." She smiled at him and they drank their soup.

When they finished they went to the couch and cuddled. "Let's watch some TV." Samantha said grabbing the remote and turning on the TV, she cuddled back against him and started changing the channels.

"What do you wanna watch?" She asked him continuing to flip through. "I don't care." He said grabbing her free hand and placing soft kisses on it.

He smiled at her and she smiled back before hitting him with a couch pillow. He looked at her shocked and grabbed another pillow and ran after her.

"Ahh!" She yelped playfully running around with him chasing her. She laughed so hard when he jumped and hit her back with his pillow. She kept running and they were both laughing super hard.

"I got you!" He said scooping her up from behind and turning her around. They looked into each other's eyes and just looked at each other. Samantha wrapped her arms around his neck and sighed.

He leaned down and claimed her lips, it was a soft but passionate kiss. He had his arms wrapped around her waist and he pulled her closer deepening the kiss.

While they were kissing, Nick's phone started ringing and he pulled away from her. "Sorry I have to get that." He picked up the call.

"Hello...yeah this is he." He said, his eyebrows scrunched together. "What?! Are you sure?" He said suddenly frantic.

"I'll be there by tomorrow morning." He hung up quickly after and ran his fingers through his hair and he let out a stressed breath.

"I have to go." He said grabbing his keys off the counter. He left quickly without kissing her or even saying bye.

"Bye Nick." She whispered right as the door closed behind him. She looked around confused, hopefully everything was fine with him.

Nick reached his house quickly and went directly to his computer. His mother had just passed away and his family needed him.

He knew it was rude just leaving Samantha like that without saying goodbye but he was too shocked. After his dad died, his mother worked a lot and eventually retired before Alex went off to college so she had two years with Nick alone and she had made up for all the years she was gone. They had a strong relationship but it had started to fade when he began working at MarxCars.

He booked a plane ticket for Florida the next morning and went to his bathroom and washed his face with cold water. He now couldn't help the tears in his eyes. He wiped them away angrily, why did bad things always have to happen to him?

He grabbed his new camera and destroyed the recording of his first video he had made for Samantha. Tears fogged his vision as he grabbed a suitcase and began shoving clothes inside.

He printed out his boarding pass and called Alex. "Nick I'm gonna have to call you back..." Alex answered.

"Mom died." Nick said interrupting him. "What?" Alex said, "Mom died...I'm going down there tomorrow morning." Alex let out a sigh.

"I'm gonna book a ticket for tomorrow morning too." Alex said before hanging up.

Nick fell on his bed and screamed into his pillow. His phone rang and he ran to answer it.

"Hello?" He said quickly. "Nick are you-" Samantha started but Nick cut her off. "Samantha I can't talk right now." He said sternly, "but-" he hung up before she could finish.

She looked at her phone and tears came to her eyes. What was going on? She didn't want him to be mad at her or upset at her. She hated crying, she sniffled and wiped her eyes before going to bed.

Nick threw his phone onto the table next to his bed and went to bed. He didn't mean to be mean to Samantha but he didn't feel like talking to anyone.

Tomorrow was going to suck but he needed to face it because his mother was dead and he hadn't seen his family in a long time.