Chapter 45: Is ANYTHING Real?!

Third Person POV

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" Sam shouted jerking to her feet, her voice echoing around the room and breaking the silence that had filled the room after Clockwork's revelation. She was so loud even the castle shuddered. Her eyes burned with rage as she held a handful of ash that used to be the book and Guardian's letter. Black dust spilled out of her fist and made a mess on her clothes and the floor. The others once they had recovered from the shock of Clockwork's actions and reveal, along with Sam's outburst, gave the Time Master equally angry and confused looks. "We've been worried about this stupid prophecy for so long. We've worked so hard to decipher it. We went to Vlad's castle to get freaking DAN PHANTOM, and you're telling me its all just some JOKE?!" The violet eyed girl shouted.

Clockwork held up a gloved hand as he shifted into his toddler form, "Do stop all that shouting. It's giving me quite the headache." He said softly. Sam's face turned a dark red and she looked just about ready to explode. She opened her mouth, but Clockwork spoke up before she could utter a single word. "Yes I know, you are all angry and confused at the moment. But if you would allow me to explain it might save Samantha from bursting a blood vessel." At that comment, Sam immediately shut her mouth and sat down, the tips of her ears turning a bit red. Fright Knight reached out for Clockwork's shoulder but paused, taking his hand away and placing it on his lap instead. The Master of Time was dealing with a lot at the moment, and he had specifically asked for no special treatment. Despite the little act when they first entered the room, Clockwork had told him that he could not help nor change what was to come and he did not want anyone else to catch on and worry about him.

Closing his eyes, the Master of Time thought over what he was going to say. The whole ordeal was a confused mess and he had to choose his words carefully. He opened his eyes and began to explain, "The Phantom Prophecy is not real. It was in fact, a plan orchestrated by Riona for many years. She had carefully planned every part of it, down to the last tiny detail." Everyone's attention was on the Time Master, none of them daring to interrupt him while he explained. "Some parts of this tale are true, while others are fiction. Riona was a resident of the castle, but she was not royalty. There was never a daughter of Pariah Dark and he never had a bride."

"But the vision-" Tucker interrupted.

"Was planted. When Dan arrived at the castle he brought with him a wave of smoke. At first glance it would have been seen as just dramatics but in reality, it was enchanted and planted altered memories in the castle's consciousness." Clockwork explained. Tucker slowly nodded in understanding.

"But why go to all the trouble to make us think she's Pariah's long lost daughter?" Jazz questioned.

Clockwork sighed, "Riona was destroyed in the reforming of the castle, after Pariah had been defeated. Something or someone saved her, but her memories had been warped and she believed herself to be royalty." The group noticed the way that Clockwork had said 'someone'. Did he know more than he was currently sharing?

"Okay, so that explains that. But what about Guardian? And Serenity? They both knew about the prophecy. And Fright Knight said he remembered Riona! And the letter and the Heart? How can you explain all that?!" Sam questioned.

Clockwork could explain Guardian and Serenity. They had been prisoners of Riona for so long, it would have been easy for her to warp their memories. As for Guardian specifically, he was just a random ghost of the Ghost Zone that Riona had captured many years ago and brainwashed. The letter had been Guardian trying to warn people about Riona and how to stop her. Guardian had stolen the Heart from Riona and hid it away in the book which he then planted at Clockwork's Tower one day when he had been able to escape from Riona's clutches. He had lived in hiding for many years until Riona finally found him and recaptured the poor ghost. The significance of the Heart was still unknown to Clockwork and Guardian couldn't remember what was so important about it either. When Riona had attacked the tower, she had been looking for Dan's thermos as well as her Heart. She had found the book, but wasn't able to find the key to unlock it. And in Fright Knight's case, due to his direct link to the castle, when its memories were altered, so was his. Clockwork relayed all this information to his companions.

Their reactions were quite similar, and it was only Nocturne who didn't seem all that surprised. "I told you the prophecy wasn't real, didn't I old friend?" The starry ghost said, his tone just the slightest bit gloating. Clockwork shot him a look and Nocturne merely smirked in reply. The tall ghost was correct. Back when he and Clockwork found the key in the book and discovered the hidden letter and Heart within, before all that Nocturne had voiced his opinion that the prophecy was fake. The Master of Time was glad Nocturne wasn't the gloating type - despite his tone just moments ago - or he would be getting the mother of all 'I told you so's'.

Dani rubbed her fingers against her temples, "This is getting crazy. So basically everything we thought we knew is actually wrong. Or, is that we know nothing? Ugh, I think I'm giving myself a headache." Everyone could agree with Dani; this was getting insane. And with mere hours before Riona was going to attack, they needed to create a plan that worked with this new information. The room became filled with silence as the group tried to piece together a plan. It was after a few moments that Sam voiced a thought that everyone had somehow forgotten.

"But how does Danny fit into all of this?" She asked, her tone light, "I mean, the prophecy is fake right? So there is no 'Diamond'. Riona doesn't need him." As everyone saw the truth in Sam's words, Clockwork began to see the horror. He now knew the significance of the Heart, and the grave mistake he had made that may just be the end of the young Phantom.

"How could I have been so foolish?!" Clockwork shouted, causing all the eyes in the room to focus on him.

"Clockwork?" Fright Knight said, his tone worried. The old ghost was getting agitated, rapidly shifting between forms as he began to grip his staff tightly. "Clockwork! What is wrong!" The Ghost King shouted, but Clockwork didn't answer. He finally settled on his young adult form and slightly loosened his grip on his staff.

"The Pendant of Life," he whispered, "When she attacked the tower she almost took the pendant. I made it so Danny would never be able to take it off after she had fled." Clockwork looked to Fright Knight, understanding and concern in his glowing red eyes. "She doesn't need Danny, she needs the pendant!"

Guilt immediately overtook Fright Knight. The Pendant of Life had been a gift from Fright Knight to Danny on the teen's birthday. He had thought that it would help protect Danny and give him some confidence since he knew what it could do. Little did he know what problems it would cause for him in the long run. Fright Knight knew he should have told Clockwork that he was going to give it to Danny before he actually did give it to the boy. Clockwork was less than pleased once he had learned about it. And now Fright Knight understood why. 

"What's the Pendant of Life?" Tucker asked. After the whole Vizier ordeal, Clockwork had wiped the minds of everyone there about the pendant's existence. And for a good reason too. If one of the guests had accidentally told someone else about the pendant, that could land the young halfa in some pretty hot water along with Fright Knight and Clockwork.

The Time Master sighed once more, "I see it is now time to explain what the pendant is. But first, I will have to restore your memories." Clockwork raised a hand just as Sam's eyes narrowed.

"Wait a sec, you wiped our memories!" She said angrily. Clockwork closed his eyes. This was going to be a long chat, one that they didn't have time for.

A/N: Hey guys, hope you enjoyed the chap. Yes I know it is still really short, sorry. But the good news (or bad news, it really depends on how you look at it) is that we're nearing the end of this tale (I think, man I don't know how much longer I can make this). Anyways, I'm going to do my best to have regular updates on this again, as well as my other stories so that's pretty great right? Thanks for reading and I'll see you all in the next one!