A Door Marked Exit

Victoria tossed Heather’s chew toy and watched her take off after the ball, she was trying to run away from the thoughts that plagued her mind but nothing seemed to work.  Heather trotted back towards her and sat down in front of her signaling that she was tired of playing.

“Let’s go girl,” she said hooking Heather back onto her leash and packed up her things, with the start of Dante’s trial to following week Victoria knew that it was only a matter of time before she became a walking exhibit. When she got home she gave Heather a fresh bowl of water before calling Dante canceling their plans to catch a movie later on that evening.  She settled in for the night with Mexican take-out and her Harry Potter Box set, but her mind would not allow her to enjoy the movie as it replayed the conversation she had with Dante about her Thanksgiving plans. Victoria knew that he was trying to get her to go with him to her parents’ house for thanksgiving and after seven years of lonely holidays she was really tempted but she didn’t know if she was truly ready to face her family again.

The next morning the minute Victoria stepped into her office the telephone was ringing off the hook. Reporters wanted her statement in response to House to Home’s CEO claims of innocence. She called Lori into her office and gave her a rundown of things she needed to get down by the end of the day before walking to Owen’s office, and she could tell by the look on his face that he was surprised to see her. They weren’t exactly on speaking terms after he issued his warning but they still had work to do and other cases to win.

“The subpoena for that call girls phone records was denied?” She said taking a seat across from his desk and Owen stared at her for a moment before speaking.

“What do you want me to do about it?” he said his face clearly expressing his cavalier attitude.

“Absolutely nothing, I just wanted to see what your response would be. There used to be a time you would move mountains for me, just because I’m no longer fucking you, you can’t do that for a colleague?”

“You know I’m a greedy man, I don’t do anything unless it benefits me.”

Victoria laughed as she raked her fingers through her hair.

“At least you’re honest about it.” She said as she stood up. “I’ll handle it.” She said before walking out.

By Thursday Victoria felt like she was losing her sanity on top of the fact that she had been avoiding Dante the entire week, but she couldn’t put off the inevitable any longer. On her way home from work she decided to stop by Dante’s shop and was grateful to find that he was the only one working.

Dante was surprised to see Victoria’s car parked in front of the garage, he watched her as she walked over to him and could tell that she was tired. He was expecting her to start complaining about how much he needed a shave and a haircut; but the minute she reached him she wrapped her arms around him not even caring that his overall were covered with grease.

“Whoa what’s wrong with you?” he asked pulling back not wanting touch her with his dirty hands.

“Nothing, just hug me.” She mumbled as she squeezed him tighter. Dante wrapped his arms around her and hugged her until she let him go with a sigh.

“Okay what’s wrong?”

“I have to talk to you, how long will you be?”

“I was just finishing up give me fifteen minutes.” He said as he looked at her warily. Victoria nodded and waiting for Dante in his office. Victoria swung her chair from side to side as she pressed her cheek to the desk, she was trying her best not to think but her mind just kept racing. When Dante walked into his office as saw her he knew that something was definitely up and that it wasn’t good.