The Talented Mr. Jones

"Are you almost done?" Victoria whined as she pulled on Dante's overalls as he worked under the hood of a car.

"Woman stop complaining and hold the flashlight still," Dante said as he pulled her closer to him so she could shine the light on the spot he needed. Dante had promised to take Victoria out after the closing of the preliminary hearing for his case but had gotten caught up with fixing car. He really didn't need her help but he figured it would do Victoria some good to do a little bit of dirty work.

"You told me to come over so we could go eat, not to put me to work. I could have just stayed home and ordered takeout." she pouted. "I can't believe you have me helping you while looking like I belong on the cover of Vogue," she said referring to her Dolce & Gabbana high waisted trousers coupled with a floral print silk shirt, and her favorite pair of Louboutin's.

"Just a few more minutes and then I'll shower, change and then we can go, I promise."

"Whatever,"

Dante finished up his work and instructed Victoria to wait for him in his office while he cleaned up. Victoria wandered around the small office looking at a picture of Dante with Mama D, Betty; an older gentleman she had assumed was his foster father and a young girl with honey colored eyes. She realized that it was the same girl from the picture she had seen at Dante's house; she knew that the girl was someone special to him. She found herself staring at the picture until Dante walked into the office dressed in a pair of relaxed fit blue jeans, a simple white t-shirt and a midnight blue blazer while brushing his hair.

"Are you ready?"

"Who's this?" Victoria said pointing to the girl.

"Crystal,Mama D's daughter and my fiancee, she died-"

"-in a car accident I remember," she mumbled as she continued to study the picture.

"I had proposed to her a two days before the accident." He said and she could hear the sadness in his voice and she felt bad for him.

"I'm sorry,"

"Don't be, are you ready?" he asked as he slipped his hand into hers.

"I am if you are. Where are we going?"

"I told you it's a surprise," he said as he led her out of the shop and locked up before heading to his car.

"Back with the old jalopy, I really like that Maserati," she said as she got into to his Mazda.

"I told you she's only for special occasions." He said as he got into the car and started it up.

"Taking me out to dinner isn't a special occasion?"

"It would be if you decided to be with me,"

"I already told you we can't"

"Why not?"

"Because,"

"You really don't have a reason, you're just scared."

"I'm not scared, I just got out of a relationship, and the last thing on my mind is a rebound relationship."

"Sweetheart I am no one's rebound," he said with a cocky grin.

"Do you honestly, I mean genuinely believe that we can have a lasting relationship?" she asked as she stared at him.

"If you stop fighting me I think we could." He said as they merged onto the highway. "Like I said I won't pressure you, I'll wait for you to come around."

"What makes you so sure I will?"

"I'm Dante," he said and Victoria rolled her eyes.

A half hour later Dante parked the car and helped Victoria out of the car as she looked around trying to figure out where she was.