The Forgotten Child

“I told you she would give in eventually, look at this face.” Gaby said as she grabbed Dante’s face with one hand while turning his head from side to side. “You can’t say no to a face like this, hell if I was twenty years younger and Nick wasn’t in the picture, and I didn’t have a boat load of children, I’d scoop you up for myself.” She said with a wink.

“Sucks to be you then,” Nick said pulling her hand away from Dante’s face as Dante cracked up with laughter.

“Have you heard from her since?” Nick asked as he embraced a pouting Gaby.

“She called me yesterday to set up a meeting with the managing partner.” Dante said and Gaby rolled her eyes.

“What’s wrong, you don’t like him Mrs. G?”

“No I don’t like that douchebag he is the reason why my daughter is so messed up.” She said rolling her eyes for a second time as she wished she could punch Owen in the throat. “I noticed she started to change after she became his associate. He made her change. I didn’t even want her to work at that law firm.”

“Well she definitely wasn’t going to work for Derek.” Nick said letting his jealousy surface.

“Why not, he would have watched her; and we wouldn’t be in the predicament we’re in now.”

“Are you trying to blame our grown daughter’s decisions on me?” Nick asked with his eyebrows raised.

“No, I have no one to blame but myself; I should have done something when I first noticed something was wrong. She wouldn’t talk to me but I should have tried harder, as her mother I let her down.”

“I keep telling you it’s not your fault Gabs.” Nick said as he hugged her. Dante watched as Nick comforted Gaby and felt powerless to do anything to help the two people that treated him as if he was one of their own. He knew that the possibility of having a relationship with Victoria was out of the question because of the way they clashed, but if he could help bring Victoria back home he was going to try.

“Ma!” Aaliyah yelled franticly as she jogged into the kitchen.

“What, what’s wrong?”

“I’m hungry.” Aaliyah said with a pout.

“I wish you would stop calling me like that, I thought something happened. One of these days you’re going to really need me and I won’t believe you.” Gaby said swatting at Aaliyah as she hugged her.

“I didn’t know you were here Dante.” Aaliyah said with a big grin plastered across her face. It was no secret that Aaliyah had a crush on Dante but she knew that Dante only saw her as a younger sister.

“Hey Liya,” he said patting he top of her head

“Are you staying for dinner?”

“No I have to get back to my shop before heading over to Mama D’s.” He said as Lucas and Zachary ran into the kitchen.

“Ma why aren’t you cooking?” Lucas asked.

“Is that all you see your mother is as a cook?” Dante asked as he grabbed Lucas and gave him a noogie.

“Ow quit it Dante,” Lucas yelled as he tried to escape the Dante’s choke hold.

“Then apologize to your mother.” Dante said letting him go.

“Sorry ma.” Lucas mumbled as Gaby laughed.

“How about we give your mother a break and go out to eat.” Nick suggested.

“You had me at break.” Gaby said rushing out of the kitchen to go get ready .

“I’m going to call Lijah and see if he wants to come.” Aaliyah said as she ran out of the kitchen with her brothers following behind her.