Chicken Gumbo, Cars, and a Kiss

“Is the zilla coming in today?”Timothy asked as he sat on the edge of Lori’s desk.

“Yeah,”

“Man it’s been so peaceful without her around; I’ve gotten so much sleep.” he whined

“Who are you telling?”

“Yeah but something is up with her so who knows what type of mood she’ll be in when she gets here.” Lori said as she tapped her pen against her desk.

“Thirty seconds ‘til zilla time.”Blake yelled out as he scrambled to his desk and began to straighten up. Lori picked up the vanilla bean iced coffee she bought for Victoria as she let out a sigh before walking to the elevator.

The elevator door slide open and Victoria raised her eyebrow as she stared at Lori.

“Welcome back Victoria.” Lori said as Victoria stepped off the elevator and took the iced coffee from her.

“Caramel?” Victoria asked.

“Two pumps,”

“Good girl,” Victoria said patting Lori on the top of her head.

“We have a busy day today I hope you had a good breakfast.” Victoria tossed over her shoulder as she walked away. The minute she made it to the associates area her lips turned down into a frown as she noticed the messy desks, casual attire, and her biggest pet peeve a large stack of papers with confidential information that needed to be shredded. When she made it to her office, she tossed her bag into her chair, when she turned around she bumped right into Lori.

“Take three steps back,” she said rolling her eyes.

“Sorry,” Lori mumbled.

“I want you to gather all of the associates in the conference room within ten minutes, I see I have to clean house before I can do anything else today.” She said before finally waking a sip of her coffee and smiled as she closed her eyes enjoying the caffeinated sugary bliss it gave her. When she opened her eyes again Lori was still there.

“Lori you’re still here,”

“Oh right, sorry,” she said before running out of the office.

Victoria had just sat down when Owen walked in and she rolled her eyes.

“Why is it when I’m gone for two weeks this place is a hot mess, don’t you manage this firm?”

“You know you’re really the boss I just have the title.”

“And the paycheck, how may I help you Owen?”

“We need to talk.”

“About what?”

“About us Victoria, I’ve given you some time to come to your senses. You know that I will do anything for you just tell me.”

“Then divorce your wife.” She said before sipping on her drink. Owen fell silent and Victoria smirked as she got up and stood in front of him.

“That’s what I thought, I won’t live my life as the other woman anymore Owen. I admit I do have feelings for you but they aren’t strong enough to make me waste my life on one selfish man.”  She said as she fixed his tie. “If that’s it I have children to spank.”

Owen watched Victoria walk away as he chewed at his bottom lip, he had misread her, he assumed that Victoria breaking up with him was just another tantrum that she needed to cool off from  but now he knew that she was serious.

Victoria slammed the door to her office and plopped down on her sofa, she had spent forty-five minutes yelling and threatening her associates. She had sent two people home for improper attire and was tempted to send the rest of the lot packing. The only person she did not have an issue with was Lori and that’s because Victoria knew that she had trained her right. The day was already long and it wasn’t even 10:30. Her cell phone vibrated against her desk signaling an incoming text. Victoria pulled herself up and walked over to her desk when she picked up her phone and saw that the text was from Dante she smiled.