Sharrkan || Goodnight ||

//SIDE NOTE: Type of reader-san in this chapter: Sweetest of all sweethearts❤//

     The day seemed to stand still. Waves lapped lethargically at the shores, almost no wind blew, and the hearts of the people of Sindria seemed all silent. They were all worried for their king and Eight Generals. Sent off a week before with almost no information, the protectors of the country were rushed off to a foreign land that was in dire need of assistance with an unknown threat. Though King Sinbad made it clear that fighting would be the last resort, word got out that the warriors did in fact fight, and fight mightily they did. 

     (Y/N) was left behind to care for the country because Sinbad trusted her the most over anyone else in his country. Though not a general herself, (Y/N) could definitely take care of the people of Sindria on her own. She was a very reliable woman. 

     "Do you see anything?" a man called. An unsettled murmur scattered through the crowds of people littering the beach. (Y/N) squinted her eyes and spotted a dot in the distance. A fleet of ships. 

     Jumping off of her perch above the crowd, (Y/N) pushed past the people and stood in the water, smile growing in her lips. They had finally come back. "They're home!" she cried. The people cheered victoriously for the return of their protectors. She would finally get to see her husband after a long, hard week of worrying. Sharrkan would be overjoyed to see her safe and well. 

     Some time passed for the ships to make it to the docks because there was such little wind. Most of the men had to use the elongated oars to row the behemoth ships to the mainland. One by one men and women alike left the ships and returned to their families. (Y/N) stood anxiously on the docks for her husband and friends. 

     "(Y/N)!"

     Spinning on her heel, (Y/N) quickly turned around to see them all gathered on another dock. How did she not spot them earlier? Gasping with happiness, (Y/N) ran to them and threw herself into a group hug, Sharrkan being at the front to wrap her in his arms first. "I'm so glad you're all back," (Y/N) smiled. "We've all been waiting. I take it that you're all tired?" 

     "Not me!" Sharrkan exclaimed proudly as his wife looked up. "I'm ready for a party! We won and I'm ready to celebrate being home!"

     "I'm sorry to say no to that," Sinbad began, "but I'm really not up for a celebration tonight." Everyone's eyes widened at the king. Him of all people turning a chance of wine down? "We should all get some rest. This week has been . . . rough."

     All but Sharrkan nodded in agreement. (Y/N) noticed Sharrkan quiver slightly, and she wasn't sure why. Was he that upset about not celebrating?

* * *

     Nighttime had arrived quickly and Sindria settled down quite quickly. The king and most of the generals resided to their rooms early for well deserved rest, but  Pisti, Spartos, and Sharrkan decided to stay up later to talk with a few citizens about their adventure. (Y/N) watched her husband silently with a smile on her lips. He smiled brightly and laughed loudly with a group that surrounded him. He seemed to be enjoying himself. 

     Quite suddenly, Sharrkan politely excused himself from the gathering and walked quickly down a darkened hallway. Concerned, (Y/N) followed closely behind. Sharrkan got out of earshot of the small gathering and leaned against the wall, leaning his head back. His eyes were closed and he sighed heavily. A pained looked resided over his face and his hand reached to his side. Through the folds of his clothes (Y/N) noticed bandages wrapped around his side she had not seen before. He must have gotten injured while fighting. His fingers briskly touched the bandages and he hissed loudly. Muttering unpleasant words under his breath, Sharrkan pushed himself away from the wall and abruptly stopped once he saw that his wife was watching him. 

     "Sharrkan? You're hurt? Honey, are you okay?" (Y/N) blurted, rushing to him. Gently grasping his larger hands, she stared into his eyes. 

      "I'm fine!" Sharrkan said quickly, an almost believable smile on his lips. He leaned down and planted a soft kiss on her forehead. "I'm totally fine. Forget me, how did you handle keeping the-" He was cut off when (Y/N) planted a finger on his lips and lead him down the hall. He stayed silent all the way to their bedroom, and they sat on the bed. "What's this for?" he laughed lightly. (Y/N) scooted away from him and patted her lap. Rolling her eyes lightly when Sharrkan raised an eyebrow, the woman pulled his head gently down to her lap. 

     "Just get comfortable," (Y/N) said soothingly. She quickly shushed her husband before he could make a witty remark, and she added, "Do you remember when you used to do this when you were exhausted after a day of training when we were younger? I can tell you're tired, Sharrkan." He turned his head slightly down so she couldn't see his face. "Are you tired?"

     He didn't answer. 

     "Were you homesick?"

     No answer. 

     "It was hard, wasn't it?" Hot tears trickled on (Y/N)'s knee, and she felt him quiver in her lap. 

     He was crying. 

     "I tried so hard," he said quietly, clutching at her dress. "It was so fast. It was brutal, (Y/N). I wanted to make it all stop." (Y/N) waited a moment, reached down, and brushed her hands through his soft, white hair. More tears hit her (S/C) skin. "I missed you so much," he rasped. "I know it wasn't even that long, but there wasn't a day that passed where I wasn't afraid that I wouldn't see you again. I'm so glad you weren't there. You would have been mortified to see what we saw when we got there." Sharrkan stopped shaking and he went silent. "I was mortified."

     Pulling a few strands of hair from his face, (Y/N) bent down and kissed his temple, wiping away the stray tear in his eye. Her smile was soft, warm, and understanding. Sharrkan was a strong man, and she knew that, so seeing him so devastated meant something horrible happened. "But you were strong," (Y/N) whispered. "You protected everyone, and got home. You came home and I get to see you again."

     "I'm weak for crying."

     "No, don't ever say that. Some thing just became too hard for us to handle alone. I'm here for you. Talk to me. I won't ever know first hand what happened there, but the least I can do is give you a sense of peace." Sharrkan shifted and looked up at her with wide eyes. "You're not weak. You're stronger than any person I've ever known. Don't try and hide your feelings from me. I'm here to keep you calm and happy."

      "Thank you," Sharrkan whispered, tears forming in his eyes again. "I love you."

     "I love you, too," (Y/N) smiled. Her (E/C) eyes shone with tenderness. "Go to sleep. You deserve the rest."

     Sharrkan fell asleep in (Y/N) lap, drifting into dreamland feeling his wife's hands run gingerly through his hair. He had never been so thankful to have someone who he loved in his life before. (Y/N)'s smile watched over him as he slept. Softly, she moved him to rest a head on a pillow, and she curled up next to him, drifting off to sleep, too. "Goodnight," she whispered, smiling. 

"If you're willing to let me curl up next to you and rest, I'm willing to give you my heart forever."

- Anonymous