27. Lena

It seems to be the brightest day I've seen in such a long time, the golden sunlight shining down on me. The fresh breeze is a nice change from the stuffiness of the palace halls, and the garden is especially beautiful.

     Henry didn't mention where we should meet, so I am just waiting for him by the water fountain where we first spoke. It's nearly noon, but I've been here for a while. I don't even know why I arrived so early, or why I was excited to come here in the first place. I suppose it's because I don't have many friends here and it's nice that I just might have a new one. I have only been here for almost a week, but most of the servants and maids seem to dislike me. Especially Abigail, and nearly every maid other than Prue and Nellie.

     I begin pacing back and forth as I hear the nearby clock strike twelve. Henry should be here any moment, and that thought excites me. Sitting down on the bench in front of the water fountain, I bounce my leg nervously and look down at the ground.

     I hear the faint sound of footsteps, and I can feel my heart beat faster. With a big smile on my face, I look up from the ground. Suddenly, my smile drops. The person walking towards me isn't Henry.

     I stand and stumble back, almost falling into the fountain. He stops walking as soon as he's directly in front of me, and my eyes widen. My blood runs cold, and I struggle to say something.

     "A-Alec?" I whisper in disbelief, and my big brother smiles back at me. "Alec!" My mood shifts to excitement.

     I jump into his arms and laugh, wrapping my arms tightly around him.

     "It's good to see you, Mila," he replies.

     I let go of him and grin. "What are you doing here? How did you get to the palace? Did you know I was here? How is everyone?"

     "Woah, woah, woah," he chuckles. "One question at a time."

     "Okay, sorry," I breathe. "Why are you here?"

     He smiles brightly. "I'm here to tell you that you left us."

     My smile slowly fades, "What? What are you talking about?"

     "You left us," he keeps his smile. "For this."

     "Alec," I shake my head. "I don't understand."

     That is when his smile goes away. "You left us behind and came here to live a better life. You're well off here, and you know it. Three meals a day, taking care of young babies, joking around with new friends, the list goes on and on."

     "Alec, what are you saying?" I ask, extremely confused. "I was brought here against my will. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I was caught trying to steal an elixir that would save Ben."

     "Oh, I know that," he tells me. "That was really selfish of you, Milena."

     "Why don't you start making sense?" I angrily ask him. "Do you think I like it here? I'm a maid, a slave to the Royal family."

     "It doesn't seem like you're a slave," he points out. "Sure, you have to wash a few clothes every now and then but, other than that, I'd say this is a pretty nice life."

     "I didn't want to be taken away from you and Ben, Alec," I try to convince him. "I'd give anything to be with you both again, believe me."

     "Oh, you want to be with me and Ben again?" He repeats and I nod. In the blink of an eye, the scenery around me changes. I look around confusedly.

     "This is..." my voice quiets. "The village graveyard?"

     We're standing in the middle of the graveyard where our parents are buried.