44. Louis/Belladonna

Louis

"You're fucking joking," I say with a smirk on my face as Edward tells me what happened in the hospital wing earlier today.

Edward shakes his head. "No, Your Highness, I am not. The blonde maid is, without a doubt, with child. And five months along. Need I say who the father is?"

"Oh, I know who the father is," I laugh, taking a seat on my bed. "This truly is incredible news, Edward. Do you know why this is such incredible news?"

"No, Your Highness," he shakes his head.

"Well," I let out a deep breath. "It's incredible news because my dear brother just dug his own grave. I've got so much against him now, he'll have no choice but to do as I say."

Before he can respond, we hear a knock at the door. I sigh and stand up. Edward steps to the side as I pull the door open.

"What?" I whine, before I notice that Mother is standing in front of the door, with Belladonna at her side.

"Is that any way to speak to me?" She raises a brow.

I groan. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your company, my dear Mother?"

She sighs, obviously fed up with my attitude. "May we come in?"

"Fine," I huff, stepping to the side in order for them to come in. Belladonna gives me a polite smile as they walk in.

"Leave us be," Mother sternly commands Edward, who nods and leaves the room, closing the door behind him. Mother turns to me and says, "Belladonna will be staying in your room with you from now on."

I let out a laugh that sounds more like a scoff. "Are you serious?" I turn to Belladonna, who has her head down, making her long, dark hair cover most of her face. "I thought she didn't want to."

"There was some damage in her room," Mother explains. "Some servant thought it would be funny to destroy all of the furniture. Whoever has done that will be found and punished. Since there are no other rooms for her, she will be staying with you."

I turn to Belladonna. "And you're okay with this?"

She shyly nods. "I don't have much of a choice, My Prince."

Mother turns to her. "Darling, you may call him Louis," then, she goes back to me, beginning to walk out of the room. "I must go now, Catherine needs me."

"This should be fun," I mutter, thinking nobody could hear me.

Mother stops in her tracks and turns around. "Be. Nice." She seethes, before saying to Belladonna, "Do make yourself comfortable, dear, and let me know if you need anything. Your lady-in-waiting will arrive tomorrow, first thing in the morning."

And with that, she leaves. I turn back to Belladonna, who is looking around the room with wide, innocent eyes.

I sigh. "I'm not giving up my bed."

She turns to me, looking sad. "But, where will I sleep?" She quietly asks.

I shrug. "Either you join me, or sleep on the floor," I say, walking towards the bed.

"Alright, that's enough," her demeanor suddenly changes, surprising me. "I'm not going to let you act this way towards me. I will sleep on the bed tonight, but I will not sleep beside you."

I look at her and scoff amusingly. "Woah. What happened to the quiet, polite little girl I met yesterday?"

"Shut up," she crosses her arms. "Do you honestly think I want to be here and be forced to marry you? I don't want this any more than you do, you know. But I insist on making my stay here as satisfactory as I want. I get the bed."