25. What Hurts The Most

"What Hurts The Most"

Austin’s POV

I climbed down the side of Caitlin’s house and made my way to my car.

I opened the door and closed it behind me. I sat there for a few seconds thinking about what to do next.

The closer I get to her, the more Justin wants her.

But, the closer I get to her the more I fall for her.

I need to leave her alone. Just like she wants me to.

If I’m seen with her and Justin finds out, he will take her in a heartbeat.

I drove off back home.

“Hi Austin. How was Caitlin?” My mom asked as I walked in the door.

“She is fine.” I lied. She is in danger. To protect her I need to give her space and stay away from her. I have to and deal with the pain of not being with her.

“Good. Good…How about we invite her over for dinner tomorrow.” She said, walking upstairs to go to bed and I followed her.

“She can’t.”

“What? Why? Is she okay?” She asked turning around in the hallway.

“We aren’t seeing each other anymore.” I said even though we weren’t really seeing each other in the first place.

“Why? What about the bracelet?” She asked.

“She doesn’t feel the same way Mom. We are done.” I said closing my bedroom door behind me.

I flopped down on my bed. I looked over to my phone that was lit up on my desk.

4 Missed calls.

I looked at my recent calls.

Missed Call-Caitlin

Missed Call-Caitlin

Missed Call-Caitlin

Missed Call-Unknown

He couldn’t have called me. No freaking way.

I took out my computer and tracked down Caitlin’s phone. Not creepy, I’m just checking on her and she doesn’t know it.

Pheww. She is fine at her house. I don’t think he is going to take her yet. He will watch for a while and I need to show him that I’m not in love with her…No matter how hard it will be.

I needed to keep my space from her. It hurts me. When I can’t hold her in my arms, listen to her laugh, see her smile, or kiss her lips…Those things are what hurt the most.

I lay back down in bed. I crawled under the covers and closed my eyes.

Right when I was about to fall asleep my phone rang.

“Agghh.” I said and got up to pick up the phone on my desk.

Incoming Call- Unknown

I picked it up as fast as I could.

“What?” I said in a nasty tone.

“Hey calm down Austin.” I knew it was Justin.

“Don’t tell me what to do.”

“That isn’t the way to talk to someone who could take away something you love.”

“I don’t love her.” I lied. It made my heart ache a little, just saying the word her.