CHAPTER 27

I was alone in the room. All around me it was dark and I could not see anything.

Suddenly a familiar voice came behind me. "I believed in you" I turned around but still couldn't see anything.

"Harish," I called out.

"I thought you were my friend"

I walked towards the direction of the voice. "Please believe me. I had no choice..."

"No you did"

I stopped and stared at the direction of the voice. I couldn't say anything, not to him.

"You could have saved us. You betrayed me. How could you?"

"No," I said softly my legs feeling like jelly. "No I loved you."

Suddenly light flooded the room and I was blinded.

After my eyes got used to the new brightness I looked up to see Harish standing in front of me pointing a gun at me.

"It was you who killed us" he said.

I stared at him not knowing what to speak. It was like someone was stomping my heart crushing and I couldn't breathe.

"Please," I said sobbing "Please kill me"

Suddenly a smile broke in his face and it widened it until he was grinning creepily.

"No" he said. He was dissolving, his legs vanishing, his hands crumbling into dust.

That's when I started screaming and that is what woke me up.

"Wh-What happened? Ayesha, are you okay?" It was Mike staring at me wide eyed.

"Harish?" I mumbled.

His face became sad and I couldn't help but sob a little.

Just then a doctor entered. He started to check her IV and saw the monitor which showed my pulse rate.

"MS .Zaid I'm Dr.Bose," he said smiling lightly at me. I didn't say anything just stared at him.

"You really need to rest. You had a trauma due to the shock so we had to use some drugs to make you sleep. Even now you are a little feeble so it would be better if you sleep for few more hours. If you want we may give you sleeping pills."

"No I will try to rest," I mumbled. "I just wanted to know about my friend. Could you please give us a moment?"

"Sure" he said and exited with a light smile.

Mike took a deep breath and looked at me. "Ayesha, Harish didn't make it. I'm so sorry. I know how much he means to you. I.." He stopped not knowing what to tell. But I have already stopped listening. I couldn't hear it anymore. My heart throbbed and the pulse monitor starting beeping loudly.

"Ayesha it would be better if you take the sleeping pills and try to sleep. I-We don't want to lose you too"

"No. I-I'm okay," I said and lay down, resting my head on the soft pillow and tuned away closing my eyes.

The tears started flowing out and I tried hard not to sob.

                                                     *******************************

I was discharged the next day. I accepted Tara's offer to drop me home but declined when she offered to stay for few day to take care of me.

She helped me to the couch and prepared me a coffee and a sandwich and then left.