CHAPTER 18

This is exactly what Mike fear. Big cases bring high risks. But never in his life he thought that someone will try to kill one of his detectives.

As he sat outside the operation room his mind wandered off. Thinking about all the possibilities. Though he had been assured that the bullet was not so deep, still he cannot find peace.  He thought of all the possibilities of it going wrong. He sat there burying his face in his hand.

After a few minutes he heard hurried footsteps and looked up to see Harish.

"Oh Harish! Oh thank god," he said with a sigh of relief. After he saw what happened to Ayesha, he began to worry about Harish who went in search of her.

"Mike what happened?" Harish asked breathless. "You said Ayesha was shot"

"Yes," Mike said not able to say anything more. Everybody knew how close Ayesha and Harish were. This news must be terrible for him.

"Oh my god," Harish said sitting in the nearby chair.

"The doctor says it did not penetrate very deep," Mike said hopefully.

"Who could have done this?" Harish asked his voice muffled by the hands covering his face.

"Dunno," Mike said shrugging."I already gave a police complaint. "

Then there was a long silence. Both men started pacing.

After a long time it was announced that the bullet was removed and that there was no fatal injuries. Both of them sighed at relief and smiled broadly at each other.

The next week Ayesha got home. Harish offered to help her which she gladly accepted.

By the evening they were sitting discussing some case points when the landline rang.

"Harish can you turn on the speaker?" Ayesha asked as she was not able reach.

He turned it on.

"Hello," Ayesha said leaning towards the phone.

"Hello. Is this Ayesha Zaid?" Asked a cool voice over the phone.

"Yes"

"Madam your installment for your house has not been paid for 2 months."

Ayesha's face became sad " I will pay it as soon as possible"

"Okay madam" Then the line went dead.

Ayesha sighed and said" Harish do me a favour. Take a photo of my car and make an advertisement for it."

"Ayesha don't" Harish said getting up.

"Do it. Please"

Harish sighed and did as she told. He remembered the day she bought the car. She efficiently solved a case of a missing child. The child's parent gave her a large sum. He remembered how proud she was as she showed him the car.

But now she had been pushed to a level where she had to sell that.

This has to change. She deserves more than this