CHAPTER 21

Harish was in his house working on the case. He was sitting on the table reports spread around him with a cup of coffee acting as paperweight.

He was going through the reports of the recent murder. There was no clue, no lead whatsoever.

His phone rang. He reached out and picked it up.

"Hello," he said balancing the phone with his cheeks and neck holding the coffee in one hand and the reports in other.

"Harish," Said the always energetic voice of his friend Megha on the other line. Megha works in the forensics department. She is one of the most fierce woman he ever knew. What with the job itself being categorized as a job for men.

He knew her from college. The talk about never ceased until she thrashed a senior year student who spread an ugly rumor about her ,in front of the whole college when she was in her second year

"Hi!" Harish exclaimed sipping his coffee.

"I got a new information for you," She said her voice bubbling with excitement.

"Yes?" Harish asked excited knowing that she was the one who was examining the body.

"It was done by a women. Well most probably," she said.

"Are you..are you sure?" He asked. This was something unexpected for him. "How can you say that?"

"Well I found a hair," she said he voice literally breaking with excitement.

"It could have belonged to Meera" he said flatly.

"No Meera's hair is too short. This one is pretty long," She replied as if it must have been the obvious thing and he immediately stupid for asking that question. Surely she was too intelligent than that.

"But we can't find anything from it. The root is not present the hair is broken. So cannot get any DNA evidence. But at least we know that it is a woman now" she said.

"Yeah. That narrows it down to about lakhs women of the city." He mumbled.

"Don't be such a spoilt sport" she said angrily. "Concerning this case this is a big breakthrough."

"I'm sorry. Just that the lack of leads frustrates me," He said rubbing his forehead which was throbbing.

"I understand. This must really anger you. Now that you know it is a woman search for the possible suspect." there was an indistinct shout and she hurriedly said bye and the line went dead.

Harish poured down the remaining coffee which was too cold to drink.

He sat down again thinking for a moment. And then called Ayesha.