Chapter 56 - Time To Move On

(Liam's POV - Fri. 25 April 2014)

There are days like today when things won't work the way they should. Yes it is another of those days I knew I should have stayed in bed and spent the entire day sleeping. First I woke up to a clinging and snoring Shannon in my bed; again. Then when I wanted to cook myself some breakfast, for once I was hungry, I met an empty fridge and barely had enough ham to prepare a sandwich for my lunch.; needless to say I left a note threatening Shan to let him starve for the whole week-end if he didn't go grocery shopping today. Then I missed my train; met Tony in the elevator; spilled a bit of coffee on my shirt; and now there is this damn document!

I have been working on this file for nearly three hours already and I just can't get it where I want. One of the architects prepared this presentation and asked me to edit all the slides so that it looks decent; and he needs it by the middle of the afternoon, but the stupid display just won't work and it is seriously starting to get on my nerves. Noon already. It leaves me about three hours and I have no doubt that it will be ready by then but it just takes me the hell of a time; besides, it is not as if that was my only task for today. Trying to shift some of the text boxes with tables and diagrams, I get something slightly better looking but two of the objects won't align as I want them to and I hate it.

"Argh shit..." I curse silently, slamming my hand on my desk with frustration.

"Try the control key while you move it and it will work better," a voice says from the door frame of my office, making me startle. Ally and Elena. Both smirking. I have been cautiously avoiding them since the beginning of the week pretending I had too much work to actually take lunch breaks - which was not that much a lie anyway. So that was Ally who talked and I watch her as she walks to stand beside me and moves her fingers over my keyboard and my mouse, perfectly aligning the objects on my presentation and exactly as I wanted them.

"Thanks... I didn't know that trick..." I mumble.

"You're welcome, Hun. Now I think it's time for lunch break," she cheers.

"Hmm... I can't go, I hav..."

"Don't serve me your bullshit again, Liam," she interrupts me, with a strict frown. "I know you're busy, but you can allow yourself a little half hour. Now get up and let's go if you don't want to lose too much time in futile disputes."

Peeking at Elena who stayed by the entrance, I see that I am not going to get any support from her either; she arches her perfect eyebrows and motions her head to beckon me to follow them in a way that leaves no place for further pleading. So I give up arguing. With a sigh, I grab my lunch bag and follow them to the elevators, ignoring their satisfied grins. The ride to the first floor remains silent as people get in and out on our descent. The canteen is almost empty, thank God! The weather has been rather pleasant for the last two days and I assume that a lot of people must have decided to enjoy their break outdoors. The three of us settle at our usual round table and the girls start their habitual Friday chatter about the upcoming week-end, but I only listen to their conversation.

"Do you have plans for the week-end, Liam?" Elena asks at some point.

"Hmm... nothing clear yet, but my best friend Shannon is leaving Chicago on Sunday for two months, so I guess we'll enjoy our last week-end together..." I reply rather automatically. Shannon and I haven't really planned anything yet but I can't imagine him not proposing something on Saturday evening; especially since he will be gone for two whole months; particularly because he will be stuck in a forest, far from any big city, for two whole months; no pubs; no nightclubs; and probably no sex. Though, with Shan, you never know. If he gets really horny, I'm pretty sure he will manage to find someone. Note to self: slip at least two boxes of condoms in his luggage.