Chapter 2 - A New Start

(Liam's POV - Sun. 11 August 2013)

"Pretty pleaaaaaaaase Liam!!!!" Shannon begs as he is sitting on my backside, his hands resting on my shoulders. A few minutes ago, I was quietly lying on my bed, face down, looking at my laptop when a weight suddenly landed on my back. A huge weight I should say. That was my best friend Shannon, as energetic as ever, who decided to invade that personal space which is my bedroom, and who jumped on my bed. He sat his bottom on mine and has been begging me to go out tonight.

"No Shan, I can't go out tonight!" I say for the umpteenth time in less than two minutes.

"I wanna go out dancing tonight! You can't let me go alone! Please Li!!" he insists, jumping on my butt.

"What the hell, Shan!! I told you no! And please get your gay dick away from my ass! Please!" I scream at him when I finally notice that he is only wearing boxer briefs, exactly like I am.

"I'm not gay, Bunny! I'm bi!" he replies, falsely offended by my remark. He knows that I am joking of course and that I don't hold any grudge against gays. My best friend is openly gay, or rather bi as he says, a jack of all trades if you prefer... one night he can date a girl, and the following night he might be with a boy, although I have seen him more often with boys lately.

"Whatever, get off of me!" I reply, trying to turn around and push him off. He eventually complies and sits down next to me, pouting like the little brat he is sometimes.

"Please Liam, I promise we'll have fun!"

"Shan, I know that we'd have fun, but I'm starting this job tomorrow! I need to wake up at 6:00 am and I need my six hours of sleep! What would be the point of going to a club for only an hour?" I reply softly, trying to reason him.

"Ugh... do you really need to wake up that early? It's not human to get up before ten or eleven!" he scoffs.

"This is just what happens to normal people who have a normal job with regular hours! I have to be there at 8:00 am tomorrow and I certainly don't want to arrive late for my first day, even less show up with dark circles under my eyes or looking tired. This is important for me Shan... I was really lucky to get that internship in the company I wanted the most and I can't afford to mess up," I explain. He tries his puppy dog face that never fails to move me, but I won't let him win this time, so I return my attention to the screen of my laptop.

"How about we go out to a bar and get some drinks?" he proposes when he realizes that he is not getting anywhere with the club.

"How about we're only twenty and can't drink?" I offer with a smug smile.

"You're such a party pooper!" he whines, getting up from my bed and heading towards the living-room.

Shannon has been my best friend for the last five years. We met during the first days of our sophomore year in high school. Shan is not really taller than I am but he is thicker, while I have always looked dwarfish and puny. My first week in this high school was like being in hell. I was bullied by taller and stronger guys from day one and I had no friends because my parents and I had just moved into this town over the summer - not that I really had any friends before anyway.

The incident happened on my second week there. I was at my locker, gathering my books inside my backpack when a group of three footballers decided to have some fun with me. They snatched my bag and started to throw all my books above the lockers, where I obviously wouldn't be able to reach them. This is when Shan arrived with his smart mouth and threatened the guys with ratting on them to the Principal. I was amazed that the guys didn't just beat him down, but when Shan told them that he wasn't afraid of retaliation or to be called a grass, they just gave up and left, shoving me against the lockers. Shan helped me up from the floor and asked a tall nerd who was passing by to help us get my books back. That afternoon, we walked back home together and this was the beginning of my first friendship ever. Shannon can be reproached with all kinds of faults, but if there is something he could be granted, it is his honesty and his hate for injustice.