Chapter 15 - Wrong Move...

(Joshua's POV - Fri. 4 October 2013)

"Even if we don't go anywhere with Cole, we're still getting this new division," I say firmly. Megan, my Legal Manager, and Allan are in my office right now. Megan just announced she had a call with Cole's lawyers earlier and they have eventually agreed to come over to Chicago and finalize our agreement next week, but these guys are not as flexible on the terms and conditions as I thought. "Either they agree with our terms or they can go fuck off."

I see Megan wince at my language but I don't give a shit. She should have gotten used to it over the last two years she has worked with me. I agree it doesn't sound very appropriate in a CEO's mouth, and I usually don't tolerate it very well in other people's mouths, but hey, I'm the boss, right? It gives me privileges and I don't really care about what people think of me. That's just how I am and probably a consequence of hanging with my three friends, especially Cam and Aaron.

These two have always used a lot of dirty words and slang. Mark was always more reserved but Cam and Aaron eventually rubbed off on him too, and he has become quite the bad mouth too now. I remember back in our younger years how they changed my inherited politeness. I also remember the first time I uttered a swearword in my father's presence. Well, my cheek remembers it even better.

Swearing was forbidden at home of course, and this one time I tried it, I earned a stinging slap from my father. I hated him for doing this. After all, he was the one who wanted me to mingle with what he called the "lower classes". This suited me perfectly well. At least my friends were not those stuck-up people my parents often met with and didn't behave like they had a broomstick up their asses.

"We might have to agree on a few compromises Joshua..." Megan argues.

Compromising is something I am used to. My lifestyle is based on compromises. I really want to buy Cole's hotel branch. It exactly corresponds to what I want to develop - small luxurious hotels that look more like inns rather than huge hotel buildings - and what's more, he has a very interesting customer portfolio. However, I am not ready to lie down and accept any of his conditions.

"Alright, we'll see what they propose exactly. So they'll be here on Thursday and Friday next week?"

"Yes, so we still have time to finalize our own subcontracting offer," Allan confirms.

"Okay... Megan, please make sure our lawyers are in the loop and updated with all the information you have. Thanks," I say, subtly dismissing her.

She takes it as her cue to leave my office and walks out, quietly shutting the door while Allan stays here. I quickly peek at the subject of my obsession who warmly smiles at Megan as she is calling for the lift. I just love it when he smiles! It only adds to his angel features.

"Josh? Josh!!" Allan calls me and I snap out of my reverie. "You still with me?" he says with a smirk.

"Yes, of course... What were you saying?"

"Hmm nothing... I was just waiting for you to come back down to Earth..." he says with a large smile. He briefly glances behind him, making sure that the door is shut, and says: "Is it me or you seem to be... slightly distracted?"

"I don't know what you're talking about!" I reply sternly, squinting at him.

"Don't you?" he replies cheekily. "I was talking about the nice specimen at Ally's desk."

Being a longtime friend, Allan knows about my sexual orientation. He even has doubts about my lifestyle since he already met my three best friends. However, we rarely discuss this in the office. It might even be the first time.