Chapter 6 - The First Offer

(Liam's POV - Tue. 27 August 2013)

"Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!" I yell as I wake up with a start, completely drenched in sweat, and realize that I didn't hear the alarm on my phone. It says 7:29 which means I'll never be in the office by 8:00. I didn't fall asleep until very early this morning and I am now tired as hell. I mentally curse Shannon because of course, I couldn't count on him just for once to wake me up since he is not a morning person and is probably sound asleep in his bedroom. However, I immediately regret this momentary anger at him when I remember that my adorable best friend went to pick up my suits from the dry-cleaner's on his own accord yesterday afternoon, for which I am really grateful.

I rush to the bathroom for a very quick shower and to brush my teeth, I get dressed up in record time, grab a cereal bar from the kitchen cupboard and rush out. I am not really late as we are allowed to get in the office until 8:30 and as long as we do our eight hours and a half each day, but I don't like to be among the late comers. Once in the train, I think back about yesterday and how I messed up. I wonder what fate has for me today, but my feelings are not quite positive about it. I wouldn't be surprised if Elena was waiting for me in the hall, asking me to return my laptop and access badge. I actually believe that I am about to be fired so I already make plans to work on my CV this afternoon and get mentally ready to look for another job.

In the end, I am almost surprised not to see Elena waiting for me in the hall as I hurry inside the building, a bit out of breath because I ran from the train station. I quickly nod at the security guy at the entrance and at the receptionist, then hastily walk toward the elevators, skidding to a stop and almost bumping into a tall guy who is already waiting by the lift. I mentally curse him for not having pressed the call button - do I need to tell him that if he doesn't call for the lift, it won't come down on its own? - but instead I press the button and cowardly mumble an apology for slightly shoving him. My heart almost stops when the guy turns around and plants his electric blue eyes into mine. It sounds like another shitty day coming. First I don't hear my alarm and second, I have nothing better to do than bump into the CEO of the company. What the hell is he doing here at 8:30 anyway?  Ally told me that he usually gets in around seven! Whatever... I am so in trouble! My eyes automatically look down at my feet.

"Oh... Liam... Is this correct?" his deep voice asks as the door to his private elevator opens. I don't take the fact that he knows my name as a good sign. It can only mean that he and Mr. Jones have discussed my case yesterday, and I can only imagine how lowly he must have spoken of me...

"Y..Yes Sir... I sincerely apologize for bumping into you... I'm sorry..." What the hell is he waiting for to enter his damn lift?

"No problem," he chuckles. "I assume you didn't do it on purpose. Care to join me?" I finally raise my eyes and realize that he is holding the door of his lift with his right hand, carrying his laptop bag in the other one. Wait! What does he mean? Why would I join him in his lift? I'm just an intern and it doesn't take a CEO to fire an intern, does it? "Liam! Get in please!" he insists firmly, pointing his chin at the cage. I bite my lower lip and hesitantly step into his elevator.

As the doors shut, I can feel his gaze on my head, although we are both facing the doors, very close to each other; so much so that I can almost feel the warmth of his arm against my shoulder. He is much taller than I am and looks strong. His blue business suit adds to his natural elegance. The ride up to the 21st floor is quite short but tense and silent. I keep wondering why he has asked me to join him but unfortunately, I can't think of anything positive getting out of here. My stress is actually slowly turning into some kind of annoyance; okay I did mess up in his meeting room yesterday, but is that serious enough to get summoned by the big boss himself? Doesn't he have more important things to do? If he wants me fired, Elena should be able to do it, right? When the doors finally open, he gestures for me to step out first so I do so although I sarcastically think to myself: hey, it's not because I want to be a secretary that you need to behave like a gentleman as if I were a girl...