Chapter Twenty-Two

Percy's POV

Annabeth wasn't here. Without the person who once was your friend, the reign of the gods will surely end. Those were the two thoughts running around in my head right now. I couldn't even think straight. Annabeth was gone. Our only hope of winning this war against Tartarus down the drain. Any shred of hope at getting my Wise Girl, the real Wise Girl, back, gone. I felt my eyes tearing up, but quickly wiped them away as the monsters' aggravated roar shook the foundations of the building. I looked at them frantically, "Down the fire escape. They'll be storming the room any minute now that they know we're here."

We gathered at the back of the apartment, climbing out the windows and down into the street. Soon, it was only me and Michael left in the apartment. He shook his head, "Leave me. I can't get down that fire escape. I'll hold them off as long as I can." I glared at his defeated face. "No way, Michael. We'll all get out of here one way or another." He nodded, sadly looking down at the metal ladders and stairs that he would be unable to maneuver down. I sat him down on the bed and took his crutches, sticking the doorknob through the end of one of them and pinning the other side behind a dresser. Bangs and scratches were heard from the hallway, but it would take them at least a couple of seconds before they got it into their heads to knock down the door. I grabbed Michael by the shoulder and smiled grimly, "One thing you forgot, Vey," I told him, "I can do this."

I shadow traveled us both to the street below and I helped him limp down the street. We had made out down the block before a loud crash followed by an infuriated screech reached our ears. I saw the dark shapes of arai and earthborn shoot out the windows in hot pursuit of their demigod lunches. I slung Michael's arm around Jack's shoulders instead and turned my back on them. "The apartment is only a couple of blocks away. Get Michael there and IM Nico to get you guys back to camp. The mission's over. I'll be there." They nodded. Hazel marched them back to the apartment, jewels frantically popping up all over the sidewalk. I turned to Piper, who was still by my side, "You go, too. There could be a bunch of other things they'll need your help with." Her eyes narrowed, "It's funny that you think I'd listen to you. I mean, Hazel's a Roman. She'll take orders from a true leader. Me? I'm Greek, and we all know Greeks play by their own rules when necessary."

I thought about the time I snuck out of camp for Annabeth against Mr. D's wishes. I thought about how the Stolls ran aloof in camp when in Camp Jupiter, the most troublesome beings were satyrs and Octavian. Sometimes order is a good thing. But sometimes you just need to ignore your head and follow your heart.

I turned my eyes back to the monsters rampaging down the streets and terrorizing the air. I nodded, "Just avoid those flying Arai. They're cursed. As a demigod whose struck down monsters before, you'll probably be just as big a target as I was." I counted down all the different ways I've killed monsters. Water. Fire. Lightning. Skeletons. Riptide. Honestly, there were too many things to keep track of. I may be dense, but I'm smart enough to know there are a lot of monsters who would have cursed me. I brandished Riptide and activated my shield. "We just have to buy them a little bit of time."

Piper and I leaped into action. I kept the shield above my head, deflecting the razor sharp claws of the airborne curses. In my hand, it seemed like Riptide acted on its own, slicing through the Earthborn, which dispersed into piles of dirt and golden dust on the sidewalk. I didn't know what the mortals were seeing, but they paid it no mind. I stood, panting, covered in what probably looked like body glitter. My arms were littered with scrapes and there were a couple of rips in my shirt, but I was otherwise unharmed. Piper, on the other hand, was having a little bit of trouble with her group of monsters.

She was able to charmspeak them away before they could land hits, but Katoptris just wasn't long enough or fast enough to get rid of all of them. Her small ceremonial dagger was lodged into the abdomen of an earthborn, who was now choking and unable to move its arms or legs. She grunted, trying to dislodge it, and an Arai took its chance, swooping in for the kill.