Chapter Twenty Seven

Percy's POV

It was already June. The whole camp was anticipating the attack and there was really nothing we could do but wait. And that was the hardest part.

Small fights had been breaking out among the campers, usually over nothing. I've already had to break up a fight over a stolen roll of toilet paper that would have resulted in a skirmish if I hadn't knocked one out and had Taylor reboot the rest.

Aphrodite was ignoring me, I swear it. She's been messing with my love life for only she knows how long and now she decides to ignore me. I mean, it's not like she doesn't have a good reason to hide, because she does, but I really wanted to let her hear it. And maybe bring out Riptide. Maybe. Possibly. Okay, I wanted to slice her godly face in half. That's not important right now.

"Percy!" Knocked out of my thoughts, I spun around to Piper's voice. "The scout said he thinks the army is coming. We need to make sure before we get everyone out there." I furrowed my eyebrows. "Did you try Ian?" Piper nodded impatiently, "He says he doesn't see anything, and we even powered him up with Tessa." I let out a dry chuckle. "The way we talk about the Electroclan you could've sworn they were objects." Piper slapped me upside the head. "Can it, Waterboy. Let's just go."

Together, Piper and I followed the scout out to the last place he had seen the army.

Boy, if only I knew what was waiting for us past our boundaries.

<*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*>

Michael's POV

Piper and Percy had left only twenty minutes ago, but I was worried sick. How long does it take to see if thousands of monsters and soldiers were marching across New York with murder in their hearts? The scout barged into the Big House, where the Electroclan and all of the Head Counselors were waiting for them to return. "Piper," he breathed, "Percy... They're both... Army... Gone..." He was struggling to breathe. He doubled over, gasping for air. He must have sprinted from only the gods know how far away.

Katie put a comforting arm around her sibling's shoulder, mumbling for him to take deep breaths and calm down. His face was guarded and we were all staring at him, making him slightly uncomfortable. I felt myself start to tick, and suddenly became extremely annoyed.

"Spit it out already!" Clarisse barked. The demigod flinched away from Clarisse's voice, who looked just about ready to skewer him. Katie tightened her hold around her brother's shoulder and whispered, "Kevin, just tell us what happened." She shot a pointed look at Clarisse that would be immediately be followed with a blade if the daughter of Ares didn't calm down.

"Piper and Percy and I," the scout started, "We were going to where I last spotted them. They must have saw me the first time or something because we were ambushed. The whole lot of them out of the trees, the ground, from the air. We were surrounded. Percy, he pushed me away, told me to run while I still could. Did the same for Piper. But she stayed." He started to tear up, "I'm such a coward. I never should have stopped fighting. I hid behind a rock and watched. They took out the whole lot of them. But Percy had used up too much energy, he collapsed on the ground. Piper stayed with him and tried to get him to stand when Hatch appeared from behind them." He faltered.

My mind was a whirlwind of what ifs. Percy and Piper were still out there. We had to hope. But Kevin wasn't quite done with his story. "Percy, he finally got the energy to stand. Riptide was out. His eyes were angry. Hatch was taunting them. A-Annabeth was right next to him. She just appeared. She drove her dagger into Piper as Percy tried to take on Hatch." He closed his eyes, seemingly unable to go into detail. "Piper's charmspeak is really powerful. I was just about to go in and help when she said 'stop'. I couldn't move. Hatch couldn't move. Annabeth couldn't move. Even Percy was frozen. She killed Hatch and turned around to get Annabeth but noticed that she already had her dagger in Percy's back. She killed Annabeth then died herself. I ran."