Chapter Nineteen

Percy's POV

I strapped on my armor and uncapped Riptide. It was Capture the Flag time. You know what I regret, though? Not making an alliance with all of the Electroclan's cabins. I managed to secure the Hermes, Ares, Aphrodite, Hades, Hephaestus, Apollo, and Demeter cabins on my side, leaving out Michael, Zeus, Ostin, Tessa, and Nichelle. The rest of the cabins were on the other team. I had to watch out. I had the majority of the Electroclan, and I wasn't sure they'd attack their own members, so I needed to make sure Annabeth doesn't use that to her advantage. 

I looked around at my assembled team. "Alright. Ian, stay right by the flag. You're the scout. You'll alert our defense if anyone comes. Annabeth might send split forces, so I'm asking you to alert and keep looking." As he nodded, I made my plans in the dirt. "Annabeth and the Athena cabin will most likely have an elaborate and effective plan in place. So I'm going to have the Demeter and Apollo cabins run defense. Shoot from the trees. Leo, get half of your cabin on offense and the others laying traps. We're going to need them. Also, get Quentin a sword." Quentin furrowed his eyebrows, "A sword? Like, a real blade?" I nodded slowly, "Yes. Your powers aren't exactly useful here, remember?" He grimaced, suddenly reminded that in a place without electronics, he was practically normal.

"Ares, as always, go in on offense. Straight down the line. The rest of the Hermes cabin, go on the wings, half on the left and half on the right. Got it? Taylor, Tessa, create general confusion. Fear, rebooting, whatever you've got. Anyone with charmspeak needs to help them." I continued. The Aphrodite cabin's numbers were cut short because a lot of them didn't play. But Piper loved a good game of Capture the Flag. She's looks kind of bloodthirsty right now, which is not a look you see a lot on an Aphrodite girl's face. You know, unless you try a Golden Mango prank like the Stolls did. "Hades, on offense. I'll be on offense as well. We've got a game to win," I said, "Remember, no maiming. Torstyn? Make sure you don't microwave 'em too bad. Move out!" The Apollo cabin took the trees while the Demeter cabin stayed on the ground, hidden in the underbrush. I saw some thick vines grow out of the earth, making a blockade of thorns and stems. I nodded at them before charging past the Hephaestus kids, who were planting bombs in a circle around our flag.

With the Athena kids' strategies, I was relying on numbers and brute force. I leaped over the river, finding surprisingly little intervention from the other team. I wandered a little farther into red territory, cautious. I had Riptide brandished and my armor wasn't even crooked. And there was no one here to stop me. What a waste. My eyes fell on the red team's flag, where there was no opposition. I should've brought Ian with me instead of having him scout. I lay my hand on the flag and immediately felt a blade at my neck. I turned around slowly, the edge of the gladius nicking my throat. "No maiming, Grace," I growled. Jason scowled at me, "You're not going to win, Jackson. There's no way you're getting past me and the defense." Over his shoulder, I saw that the Athena kids had spread out behind him. I also noticed that Annabeth was absent, meaning that she had went on offense, as expected. I forced a smile, "Well, Jason. There's no way you'll hold up to the Ares cabin with your legion." I pushed him away and grabbed the flag. "Ares!" I yelled, "Hold them back. Hermes, cover me!" I sprinted back to the river, where the minor gods' cabins had assembled. Over their heads, I saw Annabeth racing back with my flag in her grasp.

Let me just tell you this. What I did next probably wasn't very smart, but then again, I'm not known for my brains.

The water rose out of the river and doused Annabeth, startling her and causing the ground under her feet to get slippery. She tripped, sliding in the mud. She handed the flag off to a Hecate child, whose passage across the river was blocked by Travis and Connor. Meanwhile, I was trying to get past the total blockade of campers. We were at a draw, but someone had to come out victorious. I handed off the flag to Clarisse, who was immediately surrounded by her cabinmates, trying to carve their way through the red team. I zapped a couple of senior campers, making my way back to blue territory, and just in time, too. The Hecate camper was making progress. It was only to be expected, seeing as Annabeth was her guard. Her new dagger was a whirlwind of shiny metal.