Chapter Thirty Four

Michael's POV

It shouldn't have been possible, that I survived. I had lost my powers when the prototype had exploded within me. I had been struck by the King of the Gods. Yet I still had the life in me to see, stand, and speak.

Very angrily, if I might add.

"This is what happens to people who save you?" I was yelling, my voice echoing around the marble room, "You try to strike them down?"

Percy nodded to himself, still on the ground, "Yeah, pretty much." It had happened to him more times than anyone cared to count. He protected them, he fought for them, and he risked his life for them every day. But Zeus was an idiot. One big airheaded idiot. He deserved what was coming.

A storm of lightning that would topple the skies.

"How can any of you allow this?" I couldn't seem to calm myself down. The sparks around me were growing, brightening, until I was crackling more than an angry Thalia. "You are supposed to personify wisdom, strength, leadership, and yet you follow this imbecile child who throws temper tantrums!"

I watched the gods, some angry, some indignant, and then there was Percy's father, who was watching me with an I love this kid kind of twinkle in his eye.

"You wonder why your own children turn their backs on you! Well stop wondering and take a moment to actually look at yourselves. Even people who are loyal to you, and have been loyal to you almost all of their lives run the risks of being destroyed by you!" I stepped onto a solid celestial bronze platform, so electric that I was repelled into the air by my magnetic forcefield.

"Guess what," I murmured darkly, "The Master Bolt has no effect on me, and you don't scare anyone, Zeus. If they didn't see already what a paranoid freak you turned out to be, they do now. As of right now, you are going to swear to get better, or relinquish the throne. And I mean really swear. Not one of those little oh I swear by the River Sty- Look, a chance to blatantly disregard everything I stand for kind of oaths."

I could see the gears in his head turning and his mouth moving, but no words came out. The last person to talk to him this way was Percy Jackson, the greatest hero of our age, perhaps even in all of history. He was the most powerful person I had ever met, taking on deities, titans, giants, and primordials without even batting an eye. Now it was me. A scrawny boy from Idaho.

He had two choices. One to relinquish Olympus into the hands of someone who would take care of its inhabitants and those who lived in the mortal world, and the other to become a better person. Either could have stopped the wrath of the storm. He chose neither.

"How dare you speak to me like that!"

Wrong.

"Do you think I care if I can't kill you myself? I have others who can do the job for me. Democracy only extends so far, little mortal. Democracy for my Olympian siblings and my children are the only ones that matter."

My head was thrown back and I began to shake. I thought maybe I was finally getting electrocuted, or maybe that my Tourette's had somehow morphed into fitful seizures, but it was too soon to tell.

It spread from my head, down to my hands, and finally through my legs. All at once they stopped. I felt taller, stronger, and more sure of my presence. The sparking stopped, but I felt the electricity running through my veins. When my fingers spread, there was a controlled electric field that spanned the space between my fingertips.

When I spoke, the voice was not my own. It was deeper and richer, without the cracks that came with being fifteen.

"You think I am mortal?" The words surprised me. "There are powers higher than even the King of the Gods, boy. Your arrogance betrays your youth. You may have existed for millennia, but you certainly don't act like it."