Chapter 33

Percy's POV

The pain I felt when I landed was crushing. Literally. That harpy had taken a toll on me, and even as I was rushed to the infirmary, I felt the pain increasing. Even Abigail couldn't help me.

"Over here!" Will Solace called, "I need to take a look at that leg." There was no pain anymore. Just a vague buzzing.

"Will," I croaked out, "I can't feel my leg." Will brushed some his hair out of his face, frowning.

"You're in so much pain your brain can't process it," he told me, "Have some ambrosia. Abi, get me some water."

I closed my eyes, feeling him cut away the fabric of my pants from the knee and below. He let out a low whistle, "Yikes."

"That good, huh?" I groaned drily. Annabeth burst into the infirmary, yelling.

"Seaweed Brain!" She practically roared. "What the Hades did you do to yourself?"

Will pulled her to the side, whispering, but I could hear every word.

"He got lucky this time," he muttered, "Fractured his kneecap. Had he moved his leg even a centimeter to the left it would have shattered. I can heal him, but it will take a while."

"The battle isn't going well," Annabeth whispered back, "We need him. We need something to even the odds."

"I'm sorry, Annabeth, but I have a patient to take care of."

Annabeth lowered her eyes, "I know. I'm worried for him, too. But there's going to be a massacre if we can't get someone, anyone, out there."

I took a deep breath and said, "Help me up."

The blondes looked at me incredulously. "Excuse me?" Annabeth asked.

"You heard me."

She glared at me, saying, "You're in no condition to stand, let alone fight."

I stared her in the eye. "I kind of have t-"

Annabeth cut me off sharply. "No, Percy," she snapped, "I don't care what you have to do. You don't have to fight. You don't have to go out on the battlefield and risk your life for everyone else's."

"I let you fight after you took that poisoned knife." I argued back.

"That was different. I had hours to heal after ambrosia and nectar. This just happened."

"You told Will yourself, Annabeth," I snapped impatiently, "People are going to die if I don't get out there."

"You are going to die if you don't stay in here!" Annabeth yelled back, visibly near tears. She continued, softer this time. "How much do you think your death will cripple the camp, Percy? What are we going to do without you? What am I going to do without you. I just got you back. I can't lose you again."

I reached out and took her hand. "I need to do this. Not just for the camp, but for me. People are dying on the battlefield, and I'm going to help them. Let me do this. Let yourself be okay with it."

So she did.

And I'm starting to wish she wasn't okay with it.

The second my leg shifted it was as if it was being ripped from my body. Thousands of bolts of pain shot up and down my leg and my vision started to blur. Abigail and Annabeth led me outside, the pain slowly lessening, but not at all disappearing.

I took a water bottle from Will and poured it onto my knee, letting it soak in and re-energize me. I uncapped Riptide, using Abigail as a crutch to limp onto the battlefield.