Chapter Eight

I am literally writing this chapter on a box of eight books that my mom is not letting me read 'until I finish my homework'. But how am I even supposed to finish my homework when I still have a whole chapter to write? The problems a guy has to face.

Taylor's POV

"I- I think I'm ready."

At this point, I was ready to murder whoever put Percy through this. Looking at him, I wanted to give him a hug and some blue cookies and wash away all of his problems. What kind of person in their right mind would crush Percy's heart? I bet if we brought him to Meridian, girls would be lining up to try to get his attention.

Anyway, Percy was taking deep breaths, in and out. Everyone looked worried, even Jack, who I knew was jealous of him. I leaned my head on Michael's shoulder. Without meaning to, I listened to his thoughts. I wonder what's up with Percy. The worst thing is, I don't know how to handle it. I'm supposed to be the leader, but how can I when Percy is so... so... Percy? That guy is amazing. Wait. 

I was startled. I knew Michael was always a hesitant leader. I knew that he worried that not everyone would make it out alive. I never knew he compared himself to Percy so roughly, though. Sure, everyone had to compare themselves to that demigod at one time or another. He jumps off cliffs without thinking first. He falls into hell for people. He turned down godhood in return for making sure that everyone was equal. Then again, maybe he wasn't being rough at all. I kept listening.

Is that Taylor's head on my shoulder? Dang it. I really need to stop thinking like this. Why am I still thinking? I know you can hear me, you sneaky little cheerleader. You don't have to stop, though. Am I ticking really badly? Yeah, that's your fault. I giggled softly and squeezed his arm. He actually was ticking pretty badly. 

If I didn't know any better, I'd have thought Percy had Tourette's. He was twitching and he couldn't stop moving. He took another breath and started talking. "Artemis and Thalia left my story at right after the Giant War," he said hesitantly, his eyes darting around to each of us, "And, after that, I spent a day with my girlfriend, A- Anna- Annabeth," He looked conflicted. It sounded really hard for him to get the name out. She was the problem. If I could, I would strangle the little daughter of Athena. But then again, she'd probably kick my butt.

"Yeah. After that day, I went to Athena. When you're a demigod, you never know how long you'll survive. You do everything quickly so that you can have the small joys in life before you end up in the Underworld. So, I went to Athena and asked for her blessing." He stopped there, his mouth moving, but unable to form words. 

We were in silence for a while. Nichelle finally prodded him, "Her blessing for what?" Percy gulped. He started sweating. He looked so weak, so different from the person who led us through the rainforest, through the desert. But now I knew. He was battling this weakness the whole time. He kept his strong face on for us. So that we knew we could depend on him. But we always knew that. That's what a guy like Percy misses. He wants to protect everyone. But he didn't want anyone to protect him.

"To ask her permission to marry A- Annabeth." He looked at us, "She was the most important girl in the world to me. I wanted to marry her and live the rest of my life with her. So, Athena sent me off for thirteen days. I spent six of those days holding the sky and the other eight in Tartarus, all so I could prove my worth." Ostin barged in. 

You see, he has this thing where his need to be right conflicts with the gravity of the situation. Like, if you were at a funeral, and the guy said the dead person lived for eighty-five years, two months, and five days, Ostin would stand up all smart and say, "Um, no, eighty-five years, three months and six days." Then everyone would stare at him and be like, "Does it matter? The guy's dead."