Chapter Nine: Opening Up

Chapter Nine

            I sit in Damon’s car with my hands locked together in my lap. I am wearing a simple tight, short, strapless, blue dress with silver heels. Diamonds hang from my ears and neck as I stare out the window of watching as we head towards the beach. Damon is smiling in the driver’s seat tapping his fingers on the steering wheel. He is wearing a white button down shirt with a pair of dark blue jeans, with DC shows.

            “Is the party at the beach?” I ask staring at the costal beach ahead.

            “Not exactly my friend has a beach house and that’s where the party is. But knowing him he’ll probably have a bon-fire on the beach for those who want to go down there,” he says with a smirk and sideways glance.

            “Oh ok. I’ve never been to a party like this,” I say sheepishly.

            “You haven’t!” he says surprised and I shake my head. “Not even in high school?” he asks looking at me quickly, raising an eyebrow.

            “No, my mom always cared about my studies. I was never allowed to go out and all. She was also afraid I might do something to make her look bad, but mostly she just wanted me to be the best at school so I could be great at life, like her,” I say. I love my mom dearly and don’t really hold any resentment towards her because she only ever did what she thought was best for me and still does. My mommy really cares about me and I know this, she wasn’t always over baring. She became like this after my fathers death.

             “Oh, that sucks. But didn’t that cause you to want to rebel?” he asks and his voice breaks me from my train of thought.

            “Nope,” I say popping the p. He sighs and stares at the road. “Hey, um, rock star, can you please do me a favor?” I ask my voice a little rocky.

            “Yes Caroline?” he asks glancing at me with that annoyingly cute smile.

            “Could you try not to drink or get drunk please?” I ask and he glances over at me opening his mouth to speak, but I interrupt him. “It’s just I wasn’t really paying attention to how we getting there so I will never be able to drive back,” I finish with a rare shy smile.

            “Caroline for one I don’t normally drink or get drunk unless it’s some major reason or I know I don’t have to be responsible, which is hardly ever. So I don’t get drunk, hell I usually just drink water and everyone assumes its alcohol,” he says and I swear my chin probably hit the floor board. “Oh and two like I would ever let you drive my car,” he says laughing.

            “You got to be lying! You’re freaking America bad boy! Of course you drink!” I say shifting in my seat to stare at him.

            “Caroline I am going tell you something that may shock you, just because I’m ‘America’s bad boy’ doesn’t mean I’m a bad boy,” he pauses and makes a funny but cute confused face. “Anyways what I mean is just because I get painted as ‘America’s bad boy’ doesn’t mean the real me, the one here now is a bad boy. I mean think about it who in the hell will listen to a rock band who’s lead singer is a good boy?” I go to answer that question but he continues. “No one, that who. I have to seem like America’s bad boy to sell my music,” he says and then his face scrunches up. “Shit! I can’t believe I just said that to you. Don’t ever repeat it,” he says and his eyes are warning me. I just nod and stare out the window dazed.

            Damon Mead just open up to me! And I opened up to him! What has the world come to? My phone buzzes and I pull it out of my blue purse. The screen flashes a name I am so not expecting, Evan Scott. Quickly I click on open as the message pops up.