It's All Up To The Students

Chapter 6: It's All Up To The Students
-Bex p.o.v.-

It felt normal once again. I was in my scarlet coloured bed with Sebastian asleep on my stomach and Lily yelling for me to wake up. Sitting up as much as I could, I glanced from Lily to the clock.

"Lily! It's six! In the morning!" I looked at her in disbelief. "Why are you waking me up? Breakfast doesn't start until seven-thirty."

"I'm waking you at six, just like McGonagall told me. She said when you finished getting ready you are to go to the headmasters office and get your list of things to do. And do them," she sent me a look, basically glaring into my soul, making sure I would do the things on the list.

"Yeah yeah yeah. Whatever." I muttered, moving Sebastian from lying on my stomach and standing. I moved like a zombie, getting ready without truly paying attention.

I was done in ten minutes, it was good to be back at school. I could use magic to get ready and cut down on my getting ready time. Giving me more time to sleep. But seeing as McGonagall needs me so very badly, my time to sleep has been cut short an hour.

I grabbed Sebastian, cradling him in my arms, and left the dorm. When we were out of the common room I placed him on the ground, allowing him to transform into his human form.

"Did you know, sometimes, you talk in your sleep." Sebastian chuckled, "so what's this about Sirius Black wanting a kiss I hear?"

I gasped, "I do not talk in my sleep, much less about Sirius Black wanting a kiss from me."

He smirked, his voice chipper and playful, "that's not what I hear in the middle of the night."

I rolled my eyes, giving his shoulder a shove. He chuckled but dropped the subject, "do you know what McGonagall wants me to do?"

"Probably some ordinary stuff. Like send owls to the parents that need to know something, tell the elves what to prepare for breakfast, that sort of stuff." He shrugged, looking at all of the paintings as we passed them by, "they look different when I'm not in my animal form."

I giggled, "I bet. You're a kitten, they probably look gigantic when you are in animal form."

He chuckled, rolling his eyes. He followed as I entered the Headmasters office and sat in one if the chairs across from the desk, glancing around the room.

On the desk was a note, perfectly in view and my name on top in McGonagall's neat handwriting, underneath the note was a stack of thick parchment envelopes.

Miss Dumbledore-
You have a lot to do before breakfast, please do not procrastinate. Do the instructions in order, if one thing is failed to be done in the correct order the whole morning will be off track.

1.) Go to the kitchens and inform the elves of the breakfast meal.
•French Toast
•Scrambled Eggs
•Biscuits and Gravy
•Mixed Fruit
•Pancakes and Waffles
•Muffins

2.) Go to the Owlry and send the following notes to each parent addressed. The Heads of House have replied and all you must do is send them off.

3.) Visit Professor Kettleburn and approve the list of magical creatures he is planning to show the children throughout the year.

4.) Go to each required class professor and check with them on any curriculum changes that may have occurred since the meeting last week.

5.) Gather a list of any equipment needed for the Hospital Wing.

6.) Be done in time to start breakfast at seven-thirty sharp.

Thank you,
Minerva McGonagall

I sighed and stood, immediately going to do the first instruction on the list. Sebastian followed me as I started towards the kitchen.

"Miss. Bex! What can we do for yous?" One of the house elves asked excitedly right when I stepped into the busy room.

I smiled, "I'm here to give you the menu for breakfast." They nodded excitedly, ready to start cooking. "I need you to make: French toast, biscuits and gravy, mixed fruit, muffins, pancakes and waffles, and scrambled eggs."

"We get right on it! Can Bunny get Miss. Bex and her friend anything?" The house elf looked up at me and Sebastian with her large blue eyes shining.

I smiled, "no thank you. Wouldn't want to spoil our appetites for breakfast. Thank you, I look forward to your meal!" I pulled Sebastian away, we had much to do and only a short amount of time to do it.

"What's next on the list?" He asked, looking over my shoulder to see the list Minnie left for me.

"Uh, go to the Owlry." I read off, "it's like she wanted me to do things in an order that forces me to go from one end of the school to the opposite and then to the complete other side, then off to the grounds. It's tiring."

He chuckled, "and it'll be like this every morning."

"Dad, please hurry back." I muttered with a groan.

In my hands were the stack of letters that Minnie had right next to the note, the letters to parents. What I didn't understand was why the teachers needed to spend letters to parents already. What sort of questions did these parents have? The schooling hasn't even started and they already wanted to know stuff.

When we had finally arrived at the Owlry the school owls were already sitting on the tables, ready. All I needed to do was attach each letter to an owl and read them the address and who it was to. They would do the rest.

"That was easy enough." I grinned, watching the owls fly into the distance.

"And that's not even the beginning." Sebastian crossed his arms, "you better get going, you're running out of time."

"Me? Aren't you coming along?" I questioned.

"No, I'm going to go nap in your chair, when you get to breakfast I'd like to be held and fed bits of pancakes. Be sure to shred them well enough for me to eat, I'm only a kitten, I can't do everything myself."

I giggled, "whatever, I'll see you then." I hurried off, running down to the hut near the forest line. "Professor?" I called, knocking on the wooden door.

The door swung open and Professor Kettleburn's disfigured body stood there. "Ah, yes, I was expecting you any minute now. Do come in," he ushered me in, getting me to sit at the small table in the middle of the hut. "Here is your list."

I looked the list over, muttering to myself as I read, "Unicorns, Hippogriffs, Thestrals, Flobber-Worms, Crups, Knarls." I looked up with a nod, "sounds good to me, you're good to go." I smiled at his back.

"Thank you," he spoke over his shoulder, bustling around in the small kitchen area, making himself some tea.

"I must be off, I have loads to do." I stood, turning to the door, "I'll see you at breakfast!" I left the hut, jogging up to the castle.

"Alright, now I need to speak to some teachers." I spoke aloud to myself, going off to the closest teachers room, the dungeons.

"There you are, my dear!" Slughorn greeted when I knocked on his classroom door. "I only have one change to run by you."

"And that is?" I asked, coming up behind him, looking at the planner he was gesturing to.

"Right here I was planning to show the sixth and seventh years about Amortentia. Give them each a sample to smell and write a report on. How does that sound?" He pointed to the slot set up for a few weeks away.

"Sounds great, go ahead." I smiled, "sorry, but I must leave. I'll see you at breakfast." I left the dark dungeons, going up the stairs to the first floor.

Professor Sprout was in her room that she used for the younger students, standing by her window and watering a plant.

"Hello Pomona," I smiled, entering the room.

"Hello dear, I was just wanting to put this by you, I thought I might teach the first year the dangers of the Whomping Willow later next week. How does that sound?"

I looked at her with widened eyes, "that sounds very interesting, that would be great, good luck. I'll see you at breakfast." I waved with a grin and hurried away.

"Bye dear!" She called after me with a soft giggle.

I left and headed for Minnie's classroom, right by the courtyard. "Hey Minnie, anything you have that needs to be approved?"

"I was expecting you five minutes ago. Don't be late, breakfast must start at exactly seven-thirty." She sent me a look.

"I know, I know. I'm going as fast as I can while still be thorough." I rolled my eyes.

"I have nothing that must be changed. Hurry along." Minnie shooed me off.

Flintwick was stationed in his classroom on the third floor. "Hello Filius, what do you have for me?"

"Actually," his squeaky voice echoed around the empty classroom, "I'm all set, nothing to run by you."

"Great! Have fun! I'll see you at breakfast!" I grinned and left the room.

Now all I needed was to go to the Hospital Wing and get the list of things needed. And I had ten minutes to do it and be at the great hall.

"Poppy! You in here?" I called into the empty Hospital Wing. The room was quiet and nothing was moving.

"I'm here!" Her voice sounded from her office.

"Hey Poppy, I just need the list of equipment that are to be received. Do you have that for me?" I asked, leaning against the door frame.

"I'm just finishing it up," she spoke, writing a few more things on the list. "And there you go!" She handed me the list with a smile.

"Thanks! I'll get those to you right away!" I grinned, running off once more.

When I arrived at the great hall I was a few minutes early and out of breath. I gasped for air, leaning against the large double doors.

"You're here on time, how surprising." Minnie spoke walking up to me.

I rolled my eyes, "I ran here all the way from the Hospital Wing, just so I wouldn't be late. You're lucky I like food or else you'd be waiting for quite some time."

The first wave of students began to come this way, I threw the doors open and moved to plop down in the large chair that was mine for the next week or so. The only thing that stopped me was the small kitten curled up in my chair.

I softly moved him from the chair and placed him on my lap, taking the spot he was previously sitting in.

The students all started filing in, sitting in their respected places. The blue and yellow tables were the first to fill up, the students were happy and laughing and looking forward to the classes after breakfast, wondering what their schedules would look like. The red table started to fill, the people sitting at it looked a little less than happy and the green table was filled with people who didn't want to be sitting there.

I stood and made my way to the podium, holding Sebastian in my arms, "hello students," I greeted. "It is officially the first day of classes, which sucks, we should have this week off. I mean there's only two days left in the week. And as headmistress I feel I am able to give you that," the students at the red and green tables started cheering, the yellow table looked interested at the idea, and the blue table frowned, not likening it at all. I frowned as well, "but, the teachers don't want me to do that. So we will be voting. All in favor of starting class today, move to the right side of the great hall. All those who don't want class to start until Monday, move to the left side. Teachers included."

There was a moment of pure chaos, everyone moving to the side that wanted to be on. And after the students had settled where they wanted to be, the teachers all stood together and walked to the right side of the hall.

"Alright, now everyone sit still, I need to count and if one person moves and I miss them it could mean your side loses. Plus the teachers have this bet going on, if they win they get to give extra homework for the first month of school, anyone want to change their mind?" I waited watching to see if any of the students wanted to switch sides. There was movement in my arms, Sevastian was squirming around, trying to get down. I set him down, looking at him in confusion. He had mischief sparkling in his eyes. He started towards the left side of the hall, I giggled as he sat down in front of the group of students, looking towards McGonagall with a victorious look, he looked proud, his head high and his tail swishing this way and that. No one moved so I shrugged. "Alright, it seems that only my cat wanted to switch sides. Students, this is up to you. Do we have school or not?"

Everyone went silent and didn't move a muscle, they were waiting for me to count. I moved to the side that wanted school to start, "when I tell you to move I want you to go stand in the hall, I'll call everyone back in when I finish counting." I instructed, "okay let's begin."

I began to count, mumbling the numbers under my breath as I counted the students. The numbers started to increase, the students diminished, as they moved along into the corridor when I pointed to them. The remaining students looked nervous, unsure on what would happen. Which side would win.

Before the counting had begun the numbers looked fairly even, now that the people were being counted every student looked nervous.

The only calm beings in the great hall were the Professors before they had been accounted for and were now waiting in the hall. The way they saw it was they could either get a few days off before they were forced to teach hundreds of children or they could assign extra homework for those children.

Other than the teachers, only a few number of select students were calm and collected. The Marauders, being the main source of calmness in the room. A few others were calm as well. Everyone else had started to fidget and eye the other half of the room nervously. There was nervous laughter and chattering being exchanged between friends as I came to an end, I had counted every single person that had walked to the right side of the hall.

Silence. Everyone that was left in the room was watching me as intently as possible. I slowly made my way over to the left half of the great hall.

I pursed my lips, looking down at Sebastian, who was disguised as a kitten. I looked thoughtfully at him, mentally questioning myself, I was unsure as to whether I should count him or not.

Finally with a shrug I pointed to him, "one, two," I continued on. Pointing to the people, dismissing them from the great hall and into the corridor.

Many pairs of eyes were on me, almost everyone was staring at me. Though I only recognized the Marauders and their looks. In the middle of counting, I glanced over and saw Sirius, he was staring straight at me, our eyes connected and he gave me a quick flash of his white teeth and a wink before turning back to what James was telling him.

The intenseness of his stare, the look in his eyes, everything about that boy set me off. Something was happening and I didn't have a clue as to what it was. I turned back, continuing my counting, the moment with Sirius Black only causing me to hesitate a second.

This side was coming close, their numbers catching up to the side who wanted school. At the beginning of the voting process, the two sides had looked fairly close, almost looking as if they had the same about of students on each side. Now, the remaining people looked nervous, not completely sure if they were enough to beat out the nerds who wanted school to start.

I was close to being done, not too many people were left to be accounted for. Though I knew right then and there that the Marauders would be the last to be counted. They would be sure to make it so.

Soon enough it was only them, the last four. Remus smiled and left to the hall when I pointed to him, counting his presence in the tally. Peter hurried after before I could even mutter the number to myself. James smirked when I gestured to him and left. That left only Sirius. I said the last number, pointing at him.

"Morning Gorgeous," Sirius spoke, his usual smirk slipping onto his face. "How did you sleep?"

My thoughts flickered to Sebastian, 'did you know, sometimes, you talk in your sleep. So what's this about Sirius Black wanting a kiss, I hear?' I turned away, starting towards the great hall's large French doors. "I slept fine, and yourself?"

He chuckled, the smirk prominent in his words, "one of the best, I dreamt of you all night long. Almost didn't want to wake up, but then I remembered I would get to see you."

I rolled my eyes, looking over my shoulder with a frown, "I seriously doubt that."

"You doubt me?" He raised an eyebrow in question, "looks like I'm going to need to convince you."

"Out in the corridor Black." I gestured to the door.

He smirked and opened the door, holding it open for me, sending me a charming smirk. I shook my head at him and addressed the rest of the Hogwarts population. "You may all come back in, please take you seats and I will announce the results."

I turned on my heel and walked up to the teacher's table, sitting in my fathers chair. Sebastian jumped into my arms, curling up on my lap.

Everyone was quiet, waiting for me to tell them who won and what the day would consist of.

I smirked, "it seems that school will be starting," silence, "on Monday." Cheers erupted throughout the great hall. The Marauders, of course, were yelling the loudest. "So for the rest of this week you are free to do as you wish, go onto the grounds, stay inside, and you may also visit Hogsmeade. The Heads of Houses will have a list for you to sign off on after giving them your permission slip, they will be passing that around after lunch. Enjoy!"

The hall filled with excited chatter, the students happily eating their food. I grinned down at Sebastian and stood, holding him in my arms. I made my way to the Gryffindor table, sitting in the vacant place next to Alice.

"Hey girls." I smiled at them, situating Sebastian on my lap and grabbing a few pancakes from the large platter.

"Hey!" Marlene grinned, she was sitting across from Alice, next to Lily. "I'm so excited! I'm going owl Greg so we can go to Hogsmeade together!" She gazed down at her plate in content.

I grinned at her, "I'm glad you are so happy about it. I hope you'll have fun and I wanna see Wood before he leaves," I began to shred the fluffy pancakes into small, bite sized bits.

"Bex! You'll never believe what happened this morning!" Lily looked at me wide eyed, suddenly remembering something of importance.

"What happened?" I asked curiously, glancing up from the pancakes I was busily shredding.

"Black and Potter were waiting in the common room this morning, I guess they were waiting for Remus and Peter or something." She explained, talking animatedly with her hands.

"Yeah? What's so surprising about that? They always do, don't they?" I frowned in confusion.

"No, that's not my point." She brushed my questions away, "when we came down Black looked all disappointed that you weren't there. He bothered me until I finally told him that you had to leave early this morning, at which point he interrupted me and asked where you had to go. I then told him that you didn't have to leave the grounds, you had to leave the common room to do some headmaster stuff."

I nodded slowly, "alright. And you're telling me this because?"

"Because he's obviously into you!" She spoke a little too loudly. A few people looked over at us.

"Who's into Dumbledore?" Someone spoke, slipping into the seat next to me.

I sighed, "go away."

"Don't worry about it, Black." Lily narrowed her eyes at him in dislike.

"So someone does like Dumbledore," he smirked, "come on Evans, tell me who it is."

She scoffed, looking at him in utter disbelief. "Like I'd tell you anything. Leave us alone." Lily looked at me, "why are you tearing your pancakes into pieces?"

I smirked and held the piece out, Sebastian looked at it in interest, he had previously been watching Sirius. His little kitten paws hit the tiny piece of food, he sniffed at it before taking the pancake in his mouth, eating it happily.

"You're feeding Tucker pancakes? I'm not completely sure if that is healthy." Lily looked down at Sebastian.

"Tucker?" I asked.

She nodded, "yeah, Tucker, your kitten." She looked at me confused.

I looked at her in confusion, then quickly caught on, "oh! Right, sorry. You mean Sebastian," I fed him another piece of the pancake. "Over the summer I ran into the lady I bought him from. Apparently his real name is Sebastian, he had a little collar and everything. She said it must have been dropped when I received him, so I didn't know he already had a name." I lied quickly, "when he heard the name Sebastian he responded immediately. So I've taken to calling him Sebastian from now on."

She nodded, "alright, Sebastian, then. Why are you feeding him pancakes?"

I shrugged, "why not? He loves human food. Sometimes I think he's a human disguised as a kitten, he just has so many human traits." I smirked a little. "Ow!" I yelped, "nope he is not a human. He just mistook my finger for pancake. I doubt he would be a cannibal if he was really a human."

Lily giggled.

I glared down at Sebastian, sending him a look to let him know we would be talking about this later.

"Sorry I'm late Lily-Flower, some or the first years had questions about Quidditch tryouts. This badge is becoming quite the bother." He rolled his eyes, sliding into the seat next to Lily, holding a badge in his hand. The badge that named him Gryffindor Quidditch Captain.

Lily glared at him, "don't call me that."

"Fine, Evans," he rolled his eyes at her, a playful smirk claiming his lips.

"And you're suppose to pin it on your robes, Potter." She sent him a look in annoyance, causing me to giggle.

"He's obviously into you." I directed towards her, mimicking her words from before.

"Who's into you Evans?" James questioned in confusion. "I thought everyone knew you were mine. It must be one of the first years. I'm going to have to have a talk with them." He muttered to himself.

"No, she's just copying what Evans said to her earlier. The real question is who likes Dumbledore. Come on Gorgeous, tell me so I can get it into their thick skull that you're mine." Sirius wrapped one of his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

I narrowed my eyes, "I'm not yours Black. Not in a million years."

"I can wait." He replied without missing a beat. His usual smirk gone from his face, the only emotion in his eyes was honesty, complete honesty.

I rolled my eyes, ignoring his previous statement. I mean come on, he's Sirius Black. He's the biggest player in Hogwarts, probably the entire Wizarding population. He's a man-whore, he's always got some girl at his side. He's naturally flirty, his charm can work on anyone. And worst of all, he's Sirius Black. His entire being is the worst thing about him. He's perfect and handsome and charming and funny and athletic and anything a girl could want. He's practically a weapon against every female in the world, and I wasn't going to be his next victim.

What he said couldn't have been true, it might have been some other emotion clouding his eyes. It had to be.

"Come on, who is it?" He asked again.

"I'm not telling you who we were talking about." I shook my head and dangled another pancake bit for Sebastian to eat.

"Why not?" He pouted, cocking his head to the side slightly. He looked like a puppy begging for food.

I held back the smile threatening to appear, "for two reasons Black, one: I'm not yours, two: it's none of your business." I told him firmly, glaring as to get the point across. "Get your arm off of me." I added as a second thought, his arm was still encircling my waist, pulling me closer to him.

He reluctantly released me from his hold, "alright Dumbledore, we can play this game. I'll figure it out on my own, I don't need you to tell me."

"Good, because I'm not going to tell you anything." I replied back just as defiantly.

Lily and the girls were giggling like mad and James was grinning.

I glared, standing up and walking to the podium, "breakfast is over, please make your way to wherever you are going to be spending your extra days of break. The Professors are going to be doing work so please try to refrain from being too loud. Try not to cause too much trouble either." I dismissed the students. I left the great hall with Sebastian in my arms, now was the time to converse with friends I hasn't seen in forever.

So I started off in search of the little boy who I had grown so very fond of. The little guy I had saved. The boy I loved spending time with. I went off in search of Liam.

----------------------
Sorry it took so long for the update guys! Finals are coming up and I just finished with a debate weekend. But I've finally got it up! I hope to update again soon!
Comment, vote, share, fan, follow! Thanks so much guys!