Escape From Antoria Part 33

OK I might do one more part after this and then I'll see how it goes :D Hope you enjoy though I kind of doubt it but anyways...

Chapter 32

The next day we were all sullenly dressed in black with emerald sashes across our chests. Apparently it's an ancient Antorian tradition, I didn't really understand the symbolism just something to do with the black for mourning and the green for life...why you would represent life at a funeral I will never know.

The funeral procession wound throughout the town just outside the castle walls and towards the forest where we had emerged on that night of battle. The entire family walking behind the royal carriage with unknown people joining as the carriage passed. As we went past all of the villagers bowed their heads in respects and threw lilies and roses into the path of the carriage that was carrying my father's body which now resembled a mummy. They haven't even heard of coffins; apparently it's get cremated or get cremated. To me the respect that the villagers were showing my father was not unlike a state funeral. It was like he was someone who was loved and respected by them a bit like Lady Diana. Not that my dad actually did anything for them.

"That's not true Ari, he saved you." Nate whispered in my ear so that only I could hear it. We still need to figure out the two way mind reading. "And to the people, that is one of the most honourable things a man can do, protect the monarchy, especially when they finally get a good and kind monarch after one like my father." I nodded. How do you reply to that? How the hell do they know I am a good monarch I had been here for not even a week and I could have taken down the king because I wanted control over the lands for myself? Jeez these people are way too trusting.

We finally reached the edge of the town and came into a large field that created a bridge between the forest and the town. In the centre of the field was a huge mountain of sticks that made up the funeral pyre. I watched as 2 centennials along Nate, Riley, Sam and Maddox carried my father's limp form over to the pyre. Together they gently laid him down on the raised platform. They each placed a flower and a coin around the body as a sign of respect and something to do with the afterlife. I wasn't paying attention to be honest I was a more concerned with comforting my mother who spent the entire night crying her eyes out.

Slowly one by one the people gathered went forward with the offerings. I felt bad because even people who obviously lived on the streets had paid for flowers as tokens of respect. I think they were crazy personally because it's all going to get burnt anyway. I sighed I can't put this off any longer.

"Come on mum. It's..it's time to say goodbye." I said wrapping an arm around her shoulder as her body shook with silent sobs and she clutched a red rose and a ice white lily to her chest. She eventually took tentative steps towards the pyre. I couldn't possibly imagine what she is going through because when Nate dies, I die I suppose that is one thing to be grateful for. I don't think I could live without him now and I know that sounds like a soppy romance novel but it's true. Before I never needed a boyfriend I was content but now I couldn't imagine living without out my man.

"And you won't have to." Nathan's voice echoed in my head. Oh seems like he figured it out then. Damn Jerk!! I dropped my own flower and coin onto the pyre and went and stood back with the line of people. Watching and waiting for the now lit pyre to engulf my father's body in flames.

It was oddly mesmerising watching the flames lick up the sides of the pyre; fires dancing as if to their own beat. I couldn't take my eyes off it and only when I felt someone tug on my arm as a signal to leave did I realise that most of the pyre had been consumed along with my father within the dancing flames.

The walk back to the castle was slow and agonising. It was like it finally hit...he's gone and he's never coming back. It also allowed me to think of the other special person that was missing in my life, Izzy. Where the hell did that sneaky demon put her? Oh and not to mention I should be worried because that demon is very destructive not only can he cause chaos by turning people against each other with blinding rage but he is the demon of disease. It was quite lucky he didn't spread it when he was here last but it turns out the next village over was not so lucky, over 100 dead. I sighed as I dragged my feet which felt as if they were weighed down by led right about now. So much has happened in such a short time that it is just overwhelming. I mean I spent my wedding night with Nate but instead of it being about love and happiness is was about seeking solace and comfort in one another. Not the way you plan it. To make it worse tomorrow Nate and Holly would return to the human world with Ryan and some other sorcerer who was from that realm. Hopefully they find Izzy sooner rather than later.