Chapter 28

Zak's POV
I hear the water coming from the shower as I walk in the bedroom and start getting dressed after I put on a shirt and a pair of jeans I reach for something on the top shelf and a box falls on the floor. I get in the floor and start picking things up I see pictures of Mal with a girl I had never seen before I find a few more pictures of her with Vanessa, I keep picking things up and find a few first place blue ribbons with the name of her high school on it I even pick up a medal. I glance toward the bathroom and still hear the water running I keep looking and find more pictures one is of cake that has a black horse on it with Happy Birthday Mallory written in red letters I pick up everything and put in the box I look down and see a folded up piece of paper I pick it up unfold it then start reading it. It's a list of names separated into two columns labeled boys and girls I sigh because I know that it's a list of baby names the bathroom door opens and Mal walks out of the bathroom wrapped up in a towel she looks at me "Are you okay?" I stand up "I uh knocked one of your boxes out of the closet." She shrugs and starts getting dressed "It's just a box of pictures plus a few things from high school if you want to look at it you can." I nod "Thanks sweetie but I want to talk to you about this." I hold up the piece of paper and she reads it "It's just a list of baby names." I sit down on the bed "Do you want a baby?" She pulls on her shirt then walks over and puts her hands on my shoulders "I did want kids and all of that but it's something that I can live without." She walks out of the room I know she is lying she wanted kids but she was willing to live without them because I didn't want them I hear knocking downstairs I get off the bed and walk downstairs.

Kevin's POV
After lots of screaming and hugging Zak and I walk away and leave Mal and Vanessa alone I look over at Zak who has his hands in his pockets I kind of thought we were friends so I don't understand why he was being so quiet. "Zak is everything okay you said that we could fly out and visit." "It's not that you and Ness are here Mal is happy she's here it's just something that Mal said earlier." I know it couldn't be anything bad because I knew how Mallory felt about Zak she loved him but whatever she said to him it really turned him upside down. "Do you want to talk about it?" Zak takes a deep breath and looks at me "I knocked a box of her stuff out of the closet there were pictures of her in there with her friends a few things from high school then I found a list that had baby names on it." I didn't really see anything wrong with what Zak was saying so far so I didn't see why he was so upset by this. "So exactly what did she say?" He sighs then runs his hands through his hair "I asked her if she wanted a baby and she told me that she did want one once but now it was something that she could live without I'm the reason she said that because she knows I don't want them." Now I knew what the deal was Zak didn't want her to give up something she wanted because of him "What are you going to do Zak?" "I love her and I want this relationship with her so I guess there could be a possibility we could have a baby someday." "That's great Zak I'm sure the two of you will be great parents." Zak nods and we keep walking I wonder what Ness and Mal are talking about.

Vanessa's POV
I'm sitting by the pool with Mallory who is watching Gracie and her puppy Athena play and run around she takes a deep breath then looks over at me "Zak and I broke up for about a month which lead to me sleeping with AJ and we kind of dated for a while." I couldn't believe that she didn't call and tell me this while I was with Kevin "Why didn't you tell me that??" She shrugs her shoulders and looks at me "Zak and I had a fight and he kind of brought you into it so I left and stayed with AJ we started sleeping together and then we dated for a while then Zak came back and  asked for a second chance and we got back together." I wasn't really sure on what to say about all that I look at her "How was it with AJ?" "He was a really great guy and I liked him I did love him and sleeping with him was great too but I love Zak more he's the one." I nod "I'm glad he still makes you happy the two of you really are a good couple." She smiles "Thanks Ness so are you and Kevin I'm glad you picked him." "I am too Mal he's the best." We sit and talk for a while I tell her about things with Kevin and she tells me about how Zak agreed to meet her family during the next lockdown things were really going great for the two of us.

Mallory's POV
Vanessa and I sit by the pool with Gracie and Athena for a few hours then we go back into the living room and a few minutes later Kevin and Zak walk in the room Kevin walks over and sits by Vanessa then he is greeted by Athena and her favorite rope toy. Zak walks over and sits down next to me I look at him and our eyes meet he reaches over and holds my hand I smile then rub his hand with my thumb he leans over and kisses my head he was such a private person we didn't have many moments like this one in front of people but I loved them when we did I lay my head on his shoulder and kiss the side of his neck. Kevin speaks up from the other side of the room "Hey lovebirds how about dinner somewhere I'm starving." Zak looks at him 'Dinner sounds great we can go somewhere." Vanessa and I both stand up at the same time and start to walk out of the room until we are stopped by Kevin's voice "Where are you going?" Vanessa looks at him "We have to get ready if we are going for dinner." I laugh then Vanessa and I go upstairs to get ready for dinner leaving Zak and Kevin sitting in the living room.