Chapter 5

Isaac's POV (hours earlier)

I know everyone is trying their best to keep my mind occupied. Rebecca even let me touch her stomach when the baby kicked, it was nice but I'm still upset.

I hear Michael giggling in his mother's lap as she whispers something in his ear. They're both eyeing me and I smile when I see the small similarities between them. He has her eyes and nose but besides everything else, him and his twin brother look like miniature Marks.

Although I know it hurt Mark to leave, the pack needed him as well especially after a loss like this I know he'll want to double down on security. After I leave my mother's house I'm definitely going into town to find out who did this.

My thoughts are interrupted when both the boys jump on my lap and scream in my face. I laugh and try fighting them off, they'll be great wolves one day maybe even stronger than their father.

The front door opens and Mark walks in exhausted. He immediately goes to Crystal and hugs her tightly breathing in her scent and visibly relaxes.

"The wolves in the front said they caught something moving last night at an inhumane speed. They couldn't catch a scent but Allen said he saw a man." Mark says and Rebecca shifts uncomfortably in her seat.

Jeremy looks at her and she shrugs her shoulders trying to relax but Mark notices her discomfort.

It's getting late. I know my mother is expecting me soon but something tells me Rebecca might know something.

"Rebecca what is it?" Jeremy asks as she rubs her stomach slowly.

She takes a deep breath,"There's another side to my family. I'm not allowed to talk about what they do." She says and Jeremy grabs her hand.

"They're not your family anymore. We are. Please." I ask her and she nods her head.

"They're vampire hunters. That's what our family first was until werewolves became more dangerous. They exist. And they're terribly hard to kill. They're stronger and faster than any wolf in existence. Isaac if that's how your friends died then I'm sorry. You won't win against one." Her voice sounds so sad but I know how much it pains her to talk about her family.

I stand up to leave when I feel Mark's hand on my shoulder.

"Whatever you're thinking of doing. Don't. It's not worth it. We deal with it as a pack remember that." He says using his Alpha tone to get me to submit.

I nod my head and look at Crystal who looks at me worried.

"Thank you for everything. I have to go now. Goodnight everyone." I say and leave.

The moment I'm far enough I feel tears threatening to escape my eyes but I hold them back. God knows what my mother is going through, they were like sons to her. I hate seeing her upset, this will be so hard to her.

I knock on her door and I'm surprised to see her looking at me smiling without an ounce of sadness in her.

"Sweetheart!" She squeals and wraps her arms around my neck bringing me down to her level. She doesn't know...I have to be the one to tell her.

"Mom. There's something you have to know." I say not wanting to meet her eyes.

"Oh later sweetheart. All your guests are here and I want you to meet them all." She smiles at me and takes my hand dragging me into the living room of my childhood home.

I see 4 young woman sitting down with their mothers at their sides. Immediately I take in their scents, they're all beautiful girls really, but none of them are my mate.