39: His Confession

His Confession

Author's  POV

They arrived at the airport at Incheon with tired faces and grumpy attitudes. They were exhausted from the trip overall--all the learning, sightseeing, and the endless tours they had to take. The time of freedom had come to an end and school was just around the corner, precisely, just two days ahead. 

Everyone parted ways, each person going to the direction of the friends and family, who were holding up signs with their names on them. Cheers of happiness and groans of fatigue echoed in the booming airport; the voices filling the air. Soo Ji wondered how the airport sounded like, looked like without all of the people occupying it; how silent and dead it must be, like a ghost town. 

"Soo Ji-ah, let's go home." Key smiled at Soo Ji, his eyes glittered as if stars were taken and placed in his eyes, replacing his pupils. Soo Ji pondered how this boy, her childhood best friend, had ever escaped her eyes before when she was young--how she could have overlooked such a twinkling face and kind soul. 

She smiled and nodded. "Cab?" 

He grined in response. "I'll call for one." Key replied, pulling his luggage with one hand and his phone in another. 

Soo Ji watched him from behind, his foot moving left to right; his steps making just enough sound to be heard. 

"I've never asked, but what is it that you feel towards him that you don't for me?" She heard a voice behind her. 

She turned around to see that sharp jawline and thin, pouty lips who could've belonged to only one person--Seung Hyun. 

Her throat was dry and her mind was empty, a completely blank slate, so Soo Ji decided to keep her mouth shut. 

He kept quiet; he must have thought the silence was the answer to his question. 

"I don't want to talk about this now, Seung Hyun. I know you told me you wouldn't give up, but I'm just going to break your heart. I'll keep you by my side and call you a friend and you'll be there for me, but it would be nothing more. I don't want you to go through that. You deserve better. You deserve someone better than me. Someone way better. You don't need me." Soo Ji hated herself, but you can't be polite while being honest--you just can't, if you were, then you are decieving them and yourself. It's just not right and she knew that. 

He sighed, but showed a smile that hid even the small pang of pain in his eyes; he knew the truth as well, but he could care less. 

"I don't mind. I want to be by your side. Call me a friend or whatever, but someday, you'll realize that it's me that you love. You'll see." 

"Seung Hyun-," she gave up; there was no convincing him otherwise. 

"Look, I have to go home. Enjoy your day. See you at school." Her voice trailed off into a whisper as she walked away.